Vinyl top questions

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by squeal1, Jun 5, 2005.

1. squeal1

squeal1 Out To Have Fun

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Semi Mod, 75 Project
    Ok guys I know it is Sunday (the day of rest) but I could use alittle help with a few questions.....My wifes 75 has a vinyl top and I am wondering what is the best way to remove the glue that held it down originally. My other questions has to do with the trim around the windows. I remember what the clips look like but when we pulled the trim off of my car Dad said things like "you better let me handle that, we don't what to have to go looking for new ones" :16suspect But I am not sure how to release that trim with out screwing it up, and wouldn't you know it he forgot :biglaugh:

Thanks guys

2. MaverickGrabber

MaverickGrabber MaverickGrabber1972

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 393w

a CUT off wheel to cut the 4 pillers off even so you can weld the new roof to it :biglaugh:

3. squeal1

squeal1 Out To Have Fun

Vehicle:
    Oh look we have a regular comedian on our board.......Looooozaher:lolup:

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Best way to remove the glue is with a DA sander. Yes, you are going to have to repaint where it was, I know of no other way. Removing the trim is not in my memory bank.
    Dan

5. Mavericknutt

Mavericknutt member

Vehicle:
    1971 maverick 2dr m2 front end coil over ladder bar rear suspension 472 ci. C-6 tranny
    I found it easier to knock the windows out......then the chrome comes off easy:biglaugh: seems like the way I removed it off of my car was slipping in from the glass side with a pocket screw driver....right or wrong I'm not sure but with a little time I removed mine(y) on a side note I did knock the window out of a parts car (it was cracked) and it was alot easier:huh:

6. squeal1

squeal1 Out To Have Fun

Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, got the top off and for the most part got the glue off, found a few holes in the top, but that was kinda to be expected as bad as the old top was in, have 3 of them about half the size of dimes, and probably about 6 more the size of pen heads.......I guess I need to learn how to weld on sheet metal :eek:

7. squeal1

squeal1 Out To Have Fun

Vehicle:
    well tonight has proven to be a step forward working on the 75, I got the tool I need to remove the trim and have all the glass out of the car :D.......the only thing that sucks now is I don't have that much left to do where I don't have to spend any money :(