vinyl weatherstrip color!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by LightBlue70Mav, Sep 7, 2004.

1. LightBlue70Mav

LightBlue70Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1972 Maverick Grabber
    im replacing all the weather strip in my mav, and was wandering where i could get the "roof rail weather strip" in dark blue, i called auto krafters and daniel carpenter mustang and both of them say that they can only get it in black!:mad: i thought about vinyl dye, but that stuff flakes off after awhile and it would be a challenge to keep the dye off the weatherstrip. any help would be appreciated as i am about to rip my hair out over this stupid thing!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I had to by black and paint mine white. As long as you use paint designed for that, it wont come off. Mine's been on for over 2 yrs now and still looks great.

3. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    I did the same with tan and it looks really nice. The hardest/longest part is masking off the rubber so the dye doesn't get all over it. Just take your time and be thorough and the results will be rewarding.
    -Corbin

4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    The key to a lasting dye job is the preparation. The surface must be very clean. Use of a vinyl prep that can be bought from an auto body supplier is important. It helps with the deep cleaning of the surface and adhesion of the dye. Light coats of dye rather than heavy ones works much better also. It likely will take more time, but the result is worth it. I just dyed a dash cap for the 4 door and I did it this way, prep and light coats from a touch up gun (I didn't use rattle cans of dye but it isn't important that you do the same). It looks fantastic.