Warning lights

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by fullcm, Jul 12, 2024.

1. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    I noticed that when I turn my ignition switch to ACC the ALT warning light illuminates. I checked the manual and it does not say anything about it. Just wondering if that is normal or maybe just somehow a byproduct of when my seatbelt interlock (yellow box) system was bypassed.

Also, interesting when I turn it to START, I get TEMP+BRAKE+OIL lights. But my owners manual says it should light up TEMP+SEAT BELT+BRAKE+LOW FUEL. Wondering if this is a misprint and they meant to say OIL instead of LOW FUEL. I don't have a low fuel light and don't even see one listed as an option in my '74 sales brochure.

2. TeeEl

TeeEl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    The ALT light should be illuminated any time the key in "on" and the alternator is not spinning. The other lights should illuminate during cranking the starter, also known as "bulb test". There is no "Low Fuel" light on s Maverick/Comet...

3. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    Should ALT be on even in the Accessory position? That seems like a waste of indicator bulb life since many use the ACC position just to listen to the radio. Yes, I figured that low fuel light had to be a misprint. It's from the second printing of the 1974 Maverick owners manual dated 8/73. That low fuel paragraph must have slipped in from another Ford model, the proof reader probably had a bad nights sleep!

4. TeeEl

TeeEl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    That's the way they were designed, and yes I agree that it's a waste of bulb life while using accessory power with engine not running. Some other Ford models had a "Low Fuel" light.
    T-birds and Granada/Monarch/Versailles come to mind...

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I wonder how many Alt bulbs have burned out from excessive ACC usage?? :90:

At 14v (charging system operating), the #194 bulb is rated for 2500 hours. BUT!! In this application it should never be operating at that voltage. A 12% voltage reduction will increase life by approx 10%.

TeeEl likes this.
  6. TeeEl

TeeEl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Actually, I don't remember ever ever replacing my ALT light bulb, and the car is 51 years old...
    :cool:

Krazy Comet likes this.
  7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    LoL I don't think I have either...

In fact, I've regularly used warning lamp bulbs (robbed from junk clusters) for general illumination. Unless were mixed in parts deals, yard sale purchase, I'm yet to buy new #194, #1895 etc. Yes, there is some risk involved but I test bulbs and examine filament structure. If strung snugly through supports, I won't hesitate to reuse them. For blackened or mal formed filaments, in the trash they go.

BTW I won't use a offshore bulb in anything. When the left backup light failed on my Fairlane, I found a fairly recent Made In China bulb. With that I pulled all the running & backup bulbs and replaced with OEM GE lamps.

TeeEl likes this.
  8. fullcm

fullcm Doug

Vehicle:
    74 maverick
    That's good because it doesn't look like a very fun job.