well the AM radio is out, the speakers are installed and....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DaMadman, May 8, 2007.

1. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    I am sore and wishing I had went the custom Audio shop route..LOL

Actually I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and neither of them could install it because of the "custome brackets and there is no "deck kit" available for a Maverick, and I didn't have any speakers already int he car. So I had the option to do it myself or take it to a $$$$ custom audio shop that charges by the hour.

I opted for the do it myself method. With a bad back and being 38 years young Man what a freaking job.

Long and short, I installed Jensen 6 x 9 4 ways in the rear windaw dash, and 5.1/4 Pioneer 3 ways behind the kick panels and drilled a bunch of patterned holes in the Kick panel for the sound to come through. Speakers are in and speaker wires are run, I didn't want to take the AM radio out but that was the easiest option at this point so I dremel cut the original AM bezel so I could but the DIN sized sleeve in and mount the radio using the original bezel. Radio is mounted in the bezle and tonight when I get home all I have left is to crimp/solder the wires together and install the radio/bezel back in the dash with the 4 original screws.

This is the Stereo head that I opted for
    [​IMG]

2. DaMadman

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    had to do a little trimming with the dremel behind the kick Panel to get the 5- 1/4 speakers to fit but I couldn't find a decent set of 4 inchers that would have handled the stereo I am installing. I guess I could have also put in 6-1/2 and mounted them to the outside of the kick panel but I couldn't find a set of those with decent speaker grills on them all the speakers in the stores around me have these "open" grills and I didn't like them and they didn't offer the speaker much protection form my big feet.

Anyway I'll mark this on my calendar as one of many stereo installs I have done over the years but probably the last one if I have to install the speakers and run the wires. I installed a Pioneer in the wife's car a while back and it was a sinch but I only had to replace 1 speaker and all the mounting for the stereo and the wiring was already done.

Next time I think I'll give into my pride and pay someone the $$$ to install it, even if it is pay by the hour...

3. DaMadman

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    Well anyone that wants a Killer stereo that does almost everything except wipe your butt, I would recommend this one to anyone... It Rocks out loud and most of the features are very user friendly to access.... Plays Burned CDs very well so far and playing MP3's is easy and it accessed the folder and files very quick. Just wanted to say this thing is awesome...Knock on wood for luck:clap: