What is the best way to rid of surface rust?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ratio411, May 13, 2007.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    The paint is thin on one of our cars and we are not ready to paint.
    There is surface rust starting to appear in the thin spots.
    I want to catch this now before it becomes rust through, but like I said, not ready for paint.

My uncle sanded all the paint/rust off his Mav when this happened to him, then he primed it up. The primer didn't hold up though. Now there is more rust appearing under the primer where it got thin.

Anyway, I know I can't paint the car and I know primer doesn't usually hold up for a long time...
    So what do you recommend?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Media blasting it. If you can't do that, scuff it and put a coat of POR-15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on it before primer & paint...

3. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    There is a product called end rust or some such. It is clear and is available in spray cans. We used this on my buddies challenger. You can primer over it as well. I would call a good paint shop and explain what you are looking for....

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    When I know I cant get to something soon, I use duplicolor rust killer,, it is spraybomb,,,, works pretty good, goes on clear, turns black. I have been using it for years.
    Dan

5. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i know its not a ford, but i got an olds in the yard im doing body work to. every where that was taken doen to bare metal and welded got a coat of rustolem over it which will be removed when its professionally painted but it definatly gives it the protection it needs. i tried $0.99 walmart spray paint. it did not hold up well at all. i'd sand it down to bare metal and give it a coat of matching spray paint untill your ready for a professional jop

6. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Thanks everyone!

I am not working on a Mav either, but asked in general terms so it could be applied by members to anything.

Sounds like I need to sand the areas down and prime with 'rust converter'.
    That is a spray product that matches what Dan said. Goes on clear and turns into black primer.
    Then I can do a rattle can job until Factobake gets ahold of the car.
    It is just my 15 YO son's Fairmont.
    It doesn't have to be pretty, but I can't stand to watch it rust away to nothing in the driveway.

Thanks again!
    Dave

7. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i wouldnt trust that walmart rust converter, i used the kind that doesnt turn into primer and it really did nothing at all to the light surface rust on the underside of the roof. i have a feeling the primer kind is just thick paint that covers the rust more than it converts it. i would just get out there and sand it by hand down to fresh steel, hit it with some primer and then some of that autobody paint they sell at the parts stores in rattle cans(which is on clearance at walmart) duplicolor, plasticoat etc. once i started using that stuff on my model cars I refused to use anything else. ive also done whole fenders which turned out suprisingly well

8. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    That's a question I needed answered, too. Got a 91 Dodge Van for the Church that has surface rust on the top. Guess I'll sand it down to bare metal and then coat it with some Eastwood rust encapsulater before I primer it. Sounds like that should keep the rust from returning....

9. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Remember, primer is not paint, primer absorbs moisture, paint repels it.
    Dan