what should i do with my rear window...?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ESampson, Jul 6, 2013.

1. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    well i roped my windows in the other day, all looks great and went in perfectly fine (i thought)..so i butyl it all up and everything went to put the chrome on today and one side was all messed up, turns out the bottom of the seal slipped over the ridge at the bottom it sits on.. slipped over just over half way, then all the way over the the pass side. So how should i go about trying to fix this? i used regular butyl for the gasket to the car, then urathane butyl for the window to the gasket which goes hardish.

how should i go about fixing this? it's way too hard to try and press it up, tried and thought i was going to break the window..so i sat around thinking about this and came up with what i think is probably my only option? cutting around under the gasket with a razor blade window to pop the window out, then take the gasket off clean it all up and go again; thats if it goes as planned..

just when i thought i was going to be driving so soon :(

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Usually the rear window comes out pretty easily, with the trim off, they will almost slide right out into the trunk. The bottom of the gasket just sits on the lip that the trim screws on to. But if you used a lot of butyl, see if you can scrape some out, and move the window.

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    as Dave said..."The bottom of the gasket just sits on the lip that the trim screws on to."...
    got a pic?

4. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    dont have a pic sorry...i was fighting it for a while today...decided to take it out and re-rope it in..did that, didnt work.. (left the butyl'd seal on the window) after i had it back in i seen i had the same issue..so i tottally took it all off and seen that the gasket wasn't sitting snug up to the window, the urathane butyl filled that gap and dried, that thickness appeared to be what i needed to be able to slide it up and have a great day...i'll try this again tomorrow night after work and see how it goes..i don't foresee any further issues if i pay close attention.

5. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    I wrestled the back glass in a Falcon once and never could get it to stay in. I finally found a post in a forum telling about problems with the reproduction seals being too large. I ended up cutting a section out and reinstalling it woth no problems and urethaned the seam.

6. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    Wow I'm glad you posted that.. I just got off work and am putting it back on the window seal thinking... Geez this looks like its a inch too long.. Maybe 2" I don't want to cut it and screw it up though.. Guess ill have to think about this for 20mins

7. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Did it fit the glass? I've never heard on anyone getting a rear gasket that was too big, they all come from one supplier...but somone once tried to use a front gasket, for the rear..since it was labelled wrong on the bag, but they don't even look alike.

8. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    It's a known issue with Falcon/Comet rear window gaskets...or at least it was then. Yes it was one supplier...they were hit or miss.

9. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    But not with Mavericks? It would suck if he started cutting up his gasket, thinking in was a known problem. (y)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  10. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    Yes not Mavericks. I was working on a Falcon. It was just a thought.

I hope you mistyped your statement above. :biglaugh:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  11. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    So I didn't cut it.. But the bottom is clearly too long, all worked as I jammed the corners of the bottom in, butyl'd it up and put my trim on, clips are a little weak so hopefully nothin ends up flying off one day before I get around to replacing them... Time to get the car together.

12. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    it will...:yup: