What the hell am I doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by maxsideburn, Feb 11, 2004.

1. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    I've painted interior pieces on many cars before and I cannot figure out how this problem comes up. I originally thought this problem was because of oil from my hands or something, so I started precleaning my parts with alchohol, but still every now and then this happens. When I put my first coat of paint on over my primer I notice little spots that seems to kind of "pit" and "ripple" and just won't cover with paint. I've tried thin coats, thick coats, it doesn't matter. What is doing this??? It's ruined so many parts. Is it because of humidity maybe? If so then I guess I'm screwed, I live in Louisiana where there is no such thing as dry air.

Attached Files:

2. Tim Wilmoth

Tim Wilmoth Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet gt
    silicone residue

Hey Max
    I think its usally caused by left over silicone based stuff like armour-all. Try Paint thinner. Worked for me on doors and armrests.
    Later Tim "my comet gt"

3. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    fish eye

Try not to use any paint thinners alls this does is soften the paint what you want use is a cleaner called 3812. This will take any chemicals off your parts that are painting. Along with the prior post any silicone based aerosol's will play h**l on any painter. If you paint in the same area where you work on your car this will be 99% of your problem. Hope this helps

4. Comet-73

Comet-73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 comet gt, 76 comet 4 door, 71 Maverick 200/I6
    Any product that is used to preserve the part like a leather protector something used to prevent fading has silicone in it just to a paint store and buy some wax, grease, and silicone remover. Some people also thing that if you just rub it on it will remove all the wax or silicone, but you need to wipe it off quickly before it evaporates to get it all.

5. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    The problem you are encountering is called fisheye This happens when there is a contaminant such as oil or Armour All on the parts. The paint will not stick to the parts and you will get a pinhole or seperating affect in the fresh paint. Paint thinners or alcohal will not remove the oils. When ever I have painted plastic interior parts, I scubbed them with a brush using a good vinal cleaner and then rinsed them off with water. The next step is the important one. There is a product called 'Plastic Prep' made by SEM. This stuff removes contaminates without softening or distorting the plastic. You just spray it on and follow the directions on the can . It works great and I have never had a problem with the paint not sticking or seperating. Any Car Quest store will carry it.

6. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    I don't know if there is a NAPA auto parts in your area but they make a prep cleaner in a spray can...its the only thing i've found that will work...vinyl is particularly tricky as it tends to crack in the long haul....prep work is the key on this. I think this prep cleaner is actually lighter fluid...it cleans real well and air dries in less than 5 minutes

7. maxsideburn

maxsideburn Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick (200CID I6/AUTO)
    Ok I don't know what to do. I haven't gotten any of that special parts cleaner, but I have sanded down my parts and washed them in alchohol 3 times and I still get fish eye.

8. Charlie

Charlie maverick.to/grabber

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick Grabber (Modified)
    I think what you need to do is listen to many of the people that posted above's advice and get a proper prep solvent that does the job right. :)

9. LoxMan71

LoxMan71 Rice Its whats for dinner

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber and my DD a 2001 Focus ZX3
    Go grab some BULLDOG ADHESION promoter...it comes in a spray can and can be had at orielly's..I use it on all my plastic stuff and the paint never comes off...But I also wash all my parts first, then do the alchohol rub down, then after that drys I use a tack cloth, which can be had at home depot for 67 cents a piece....then I use the promoter and then the paint...I wrote up my little how to for another board here is the Link Good luck and don't give up...

Brett