What tires for my 1970 Maverick?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by reebok128, Jun 4, 2011.

1. reebok128

reebok128 New Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Hello,
    I am a girl and I honestly know nothing about tires. I was just wanting to know what size tires I need. Just for basic everyday use. I don't need anything very fancy or anything like that. The tires on now were the original white wall tires. Sadly one popped. I really like the ones I have.. Thanks in advance for any of your help.

2. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    You should look at the dextero and douglas tires at wallmart. I just got a set of the dextero for 124.00 mounted, warranty, and balanced. Used tires can be covered with paint, not good! These tires are 185-70 -14 small cheap tires. good insurance if your tires are 14 standard .:chirp:

3. kyle1972

kyle1972 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 4 door Maverick 250 I6
    mine came stockk with 205/75 R14

4. Fordmaster169

Fordmaster169 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 MavPro Street Project, 1972 F-100 stepside 4X4, 2015 F150 4X4, 2ea 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab step sides
    I am the lead mechanic at a tire store. Every day I see tires from Walmart come in on cars that are bad. The main problem I see is slipped belts. I will let you in on a little secret about Walmart tires. It doesn't matter what name is on them they are Walmart only tires. They are cheep, poorly made and have interior design than their brand name cousins. Example, If you go to Wally World and by a set of Goodyear Viva 2's and you get all the bells and whistles with warranty, balance and all that. Say you have a belt separation and there is not a Walmart near but there is a corporate Goodyear store next door. You take the car to the Goodyear store and tell them that you have a problem with one of their tires and would they please look at it. They will tell you that it is not a Goodyear tire it is a Walmart tire and they cant help you. Do yourself a favor and find a reputable tire dealer and get your tires there. Yes it may cost you $20 a tire more in the short term but in the long run you will have a higher quality tire with much longer life than from someplace that doesn't specialize in anything but mass sales of foreign made junk. Sam Walton is dead and the store has gone down hill ever since. Think of it this way, if you want to go out and have a nice dinner and a good steak you would not go to McDonald's to get it.:naughty:

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    i agree...(y)
    but...a Guy can get away with a little more than a Girl...

so let's get her a good set of tires.
    the size is a given if they are going on stock rims.

i have...Futura GLS...Pep Boy... brand on my mav...:thumbs2:

...Welcome to the madness...:Handshake
    :outtahere:...:chirp:...:party3:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  6. Jsarnold

Jsarnold Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Or, if you can get a printout of the WalMart price, and you know a reputable tire store that sells the brand and matches price, go with the printout. I didn't plan it, but when WalMart didn't have the tires I needed in stock they printed out a sheet with ALL the charges on it. I had to insist that the tire store match mounting and balancing too. They weren't happy but they did it.

7. 75 Vomet

75 Vomet Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet GT, 03 Ranger, '11 Fusion,'13 Escape S
    I'll bet your an "extreme couponer", also. I may try that one some day. thanks

8. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I made the mistake if buying 4 tires at Sam's one time. At least they were on a trailer. Watched as the installer ran each lug down fully with an impact wrench in a circular pattern on an aluminum wheel.
    I buy most of mine through NTB now use to get them through www.tirerack.com until shipping killed the majority price difference.

9. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    2 things on a car I've told my kids not to skimp on:

1. Tires, they can let you down when you need them the most. (think Firestone recalls)

2. Batteries, the last thing you want to do is not be able to start your car after realizing you got off to get gas in the wrong side of town.

10. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I'll add brakes to that list .......... :thumbs2:

And

:Welcome: to reebok128 ...........:dance:

I put P205/70/14 Goodyear Arriva's on my stock '70 wheels. They fit great

11. Cowboiup1979

Cowboiup1979 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 ford maverick 302v8
    I don't know if you have a Ken Towery's near you, they are a tire dealer, and are very fair, and will pricematch... i personally like the BF Goodrich radial T/As... as i like the raised white letters, but if you go in , give them a size, and explain what you are looking for, they won't put junk on your car.

I had a set of Goodyear GT2's on my lincoln for a while, worst tire i had ever bought, from Big O here in louisville... had tires pro-rated replaced 9 different times due to manufacturing problem with the bead, and balooning sidewalls... kept getting big nasty knots, and where i live, there's no curbs,or potholes on the way to work.. still can't figure that one out :(

12. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Make sure they are 14" and not 13"!
    If you have the 13", they are getting real hard to find and may be a good idea to go 14" or 15" at this time.
    Good Luck