wheel color change

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by FoMoDave, Apr 12, 2005.

1. FoMoDave

FoMoDave Maverick Owner

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302 c-4,1971 Maverick 6cyl
    I would like to know if any one on here has ever changed the color on a steering wheel and what kind of results did you have. I have a new Grant wheel that I have been saving for years and would like to use it but the color is blue and not what I want. I just do not want to mess up a nice wheel trying to change color. I sure do not want color to rub off with wear. Anyone know of a permanent dye that would work??? Oh it is probly vinyl not leather but not sure...

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    If you cannot sell it and get the color you want, I think you should go for it, however, the spray-dye will rub off in a short period of time. What you need is the kind of dye that is applied with a dobber. It's serious stuff that soaks right into the material, not just coating the surface. There are such dyes that are specifically made for interior parts. Wear gloves, and mask off any place that you do not want the dye to go...

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Anything will probably rub off vinyl eventually. I just painted the Rim Blow wheel I bought with Krylon Fusion. However, my steering wheel is plastic ... not vinyl. Professional wheel restorers simply use Urethane base coat and clear coat but again .. on plastic wheels. How about one of the $5 pleather wraps at Auto Zone :)