Where did you mount your amp?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MapleMav, May 10, 2005.

1. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I've run wiring to the trunk and hooked up the amp I'm installing (nothing huge, sony EXM-302, 30 watts per side). It doesn't take up much space but I'm having a tough time deciding exactly where to mount it. Do any of you have pics of where and how your amps are mounted?

2. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    mount it under the rear package tray were the stock rear defroster would go.

3. Comet155

Comet155 Member

I made some brackets and mounted it upright under the package tray so it would cool correctly. You can partially see it if you check my trunk pic I put up earlier today (listed under the general section: "Crappy photos came in")
    For my front amp, I mounted it on the right side behind the rear seat arm rest panel. Built the system in stages. It would have been better to just mount a 4 channel amp in the trunk though.

4. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    I probably should have mentioned I've got a stock rear defroster I'm planning to put in. It gets chilly up here.

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    My dad used to have a 50 watt Alpine amp mounted under each bucket seat in his Comet. Could hardly tell they were there.

One of them did burn up after a few years, could have been from over heating?

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  6. MiteeMaverick

MiteeMaverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    1987 Mustang GT Convertible
    I mounted mine behind the seat on a piece of plywood covered in vinyl, I also extended the look to the floor of the trunk. (y) It gives me a little hidden storage space above the fuel tank and it easier to keep clean. I plan on someday to drill some holes and run the wires behind the panel to look a little neater.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  7. Snazzman

Snazzman She's a beautie....

Vehicle:
    '73 mav 4Dr
    we all be bumpin, what?

iv'e got 2 Linear 6x9's @400 watts in the rear deck with 2 12" prymid subz and a 2000 watt amp in a truck box in the trunk (so it'll slide way back) coupled with a sony xplod deck & EQ mounted Under the dash shelf(?) tuned out for Metal. It rox the hizzie fo shizzle my bizzelz!

btw i never touched the push button am radio in the dash, still works too!

8. Camp

Camp Teh Camp

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 4 Door
    I went for the "just throw it in" approach in my car. It's just lying there right next to me when I drive. I have an RCA to 1/8" stereo cable running to the amp that I plug my MP3 player into when I hop in. I leave my player in my lap or in my extra hand so I dont have to reach and touch music controls while I drive. My MP3 player is also my phone, so my stereo doubles and a hands free system for my phone.

Snazzman: My AM radio still works also.

[​IMG]

9. MapleMav

MapleMav Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Sprint
    Thanks everyone. So far I like the look of MiteeMaverick's setup and I'll probably do something similar, although less elaborate.

10. Aeon 71maverick

Aeon 71maverick Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick, 1971 2Dr, Green. HighPerf 302 & TCI C4. Interior Black.
    mitee maverick's setup

mitee's mounting is SMOOTH i dig it, i'd do similar but the trunk leaks. miteeMaverick, how did you install/mount the fake floor/vertical panel. is it obvious to the normal observer that it is a fake floor?

11. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    I mounted both my amps under the bucket seats. One powers the 4 speakers, the other powers the subwoofer in the trunk....

12. MiteeMaverick

MiteeMaverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    1987 Mustang GT Convertible
    It's 1/4 inch plywood cut to fit the trunk floor, I made a template from posterboard and transferred it to the wood........1 can of spray adhesive and 1 yard of blue vinyl and thats all. I have heavy duty velcro that holds the hinged portion to the floor and the amp screws hold the piece behind the seat. The wood goes all the way to the rear and into the fender wells. Its cost about 30.00 for all the stuff and about 3 hours. The floor piece is hinged so you can remove the spare tire and lift up to store some small stuff, clean up rags, windex, ect. underneath on top of the fuel tank. I've had lots of compliments on it. I need to dye it the same color as my spare tire cover though.

13. koonswala

koonswala Member

Vehicle:
    maverick
    i put my amp on my box so that it can all come out when i want to run it. i also put them on the back of the back seats so that they dont slide.