Where do I mount this?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Apr 2, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Do I mount this here or closer to the front? Where should the carb and the hole in the hood be in relation to the bottom of the scoop (ie. should it be at the very back so air is reflected down off the rear, centered over the carb, or more toward the front) or do I mount it as far back on the hood as possible, like in the picture?

o I mount it for looks, or for function?

Since the hole under the scoop is so large, I have lots of flexibility as to where I can mount it and still force air into the carb hole in the hood.

I will make a box under the hood with a foamy ring to force all the air into the top of the carb, and not into the engine bay.

And, I will not use my stock hood for this, but a donor hood with some damage that needs to be repaired. It will likely be a "track night only" hood, unless I get to where I really like it. My stock hood will remain stock with no modifications for future use.

Thanks to Rick Book for the scoop, and Ed (fan2488) for the donor hood.

2. inline6

inline6 Member

i'd mount it about 3 more inches forward.take up some of the space in the middle of the hood.

3. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    I agree. I think it needs to forward 3 to 4 inches more.

That'll work! I hope the install goes well (remember the article ;) ).

4. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    agree...3 inches on that type of scoop is correct-toe-moon-doe (y)

5. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Normally I don't Bash anybodies attempt at improving their car but think on this. Put that scoop on and I gaurantee everbody will expect a minimum of 11's;) Why do you think I haven't stepped up to one those big ole honking scoops yet:p

Someday maybe:bananaman

6. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber

I thought you prefered MOPAR scoops John? :evilsmile

7. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    :mad: :mad:
    my BOSS 429 scoop actually starts at the very back of the hood :yup:
    azz-muncher :D

8. daydreamer

daydreamer Mavmenace

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick
    Johns closer to the PINK with the scoop back that far:biglaugh:

9. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    i agree....!

sorry scoop to rain on your parade dude ....:huh: but if you cars got a scoop that big it better go damn fast! to me its better to look slow and then go fast. rather look fast and not go anywhere. if anything its only gonna be for function cuz for looks it ain't doing it for me... sorry just my :2cents:

i guess kinda compare it to wheelie bars... if your cars got wheelie bars it better lift the front wheels off the ground. another one is 671 blowers with duel carbs on cars that have 235-60 radial tires on the rear of the car. :coco:

but do what makes you happy... i'll shut up now.

10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I do agree that this is overkill...it is just for kicks, which is why I am doing it to a donor hood, not my stock straight hood.

I WOULD like to see if using this as a "cold air induction" system affects my times at all. I keep hearing that you pick up 1HP for each 10 degrees cooler air, so I I can pull air from outside the car, and not from the engine compartment, I can drop the air by 150 degrees or so, supposedly picking up 15 HP...if that 1:10 ratio is correct. I will lose some to drag, having the parachute on the front of the car.

So when I get this mounted, and remove my exhaust dumps, people with shudder in fear, until I cross the line 14 seconds later, when they begin to shudder with laughter :rofl2:

Gotta keep a sense of humor, guys. :D

I really wanted a cowl like Rick and Maverick Man have, or something with a little less height, like the early 2000 mustangs had, but functional, but Rick had this one in his garage, so I figured I would try it out. Other than the 8 little holes it will bolt on with, no permanent damage is done.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    i would move it about 10' feet foward and put it under the work bench (out of sight)...that thing is :coco: looking on your car...franks :2cents: ...:bouncy:

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Thanks for the comments, positive, negative, and funny. You guys should see some of the picture suggestions Rick PM'd me, one was on the top of the car (like an old VW oil cooler), one facing backwards on the trunk lid (looked like a rocket engine).

Really, I am going to do this, just for practice cutting metal, etc. It will by no means be a permanent part of the car, unless I get a 408 under there and it needs it (no time soon). This is a bolt on scoop, so just a couple of screws and it is off. I would like to try a couple of different scoop styles, probably ending with a 4" or so cowl.

This will be just for show and giggles. Maybe do a cruise around town and let the townfold wonder...(in the surfing world, I would be called a "poser" :cool: ).

13. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    One reason I sold it was because I couldn't make up my mind on where to put it. :huh:

(edited to remain on topic and to speed thread load)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  14. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    LOL!! I had to put a scoop on my old car, becasue the taller manifold pushed the carb up into the hood and putting a scoop on was cheaper than buying a cowl hood. Mine was the el-ceapo two piece sqare one for like $50 or something. It definitely inspired fear!! Small children were advised not to walk in front of my car for fear of it sucking them up!!!!!

It did manage a mid 13 sec run at 110ish by the time it was all said and done though. Bark was worse than the bite. On slicks and a big 'ole gear and a 4,000 stall converter it could have hit the high 11s with that MPH.

15. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    looks to me to need to be up about 2-3". i've got pictures of mine in the member's gallery. it's a 1 piece hood from us body.:)