Which brand paint?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mashori, Jul 28, 2007.

1. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    This will be my first time painting. I am going to start on the hood of the mav and see how I do. I have done as much research as possible about the steps necessary and I'm really excited to get dirty. However, I'm confused as to which paint brand to use, where to get the paint from etc.. I wanted to stick with Dupont or PPG but does anyone recommend Eastwood paint? How do I obtain the paint, is there a store or online? Also, how much paint do I need? Anyone know a place in southern California where I can get this stuff?

thanks

2. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    this may be a little retarded but I thought I would answer my own post in case someone down the road needs info on this. So one of the better websites I found was www.tcpglobal.com

It's a great website for all sorts of paints. I picked House of Kolor. Wasn't the cheapest one but for about $400 I got enought paint for my trunk and hood and doors. Well, at least that's what I figure until I get down to it. I went with 2 stage so I'll keep you guys posted about results.

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    The best way to learn is working on your own stuff. Just remember, the painting is the easy part. The prep is what makes a good paint job. I'd do lots of reading on prepping (body work) or get someone to give you pointers before putting the paint on. Paint materials are very expensive and you'd like to only have to paint it once.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

4. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    You know.....

.....that is good advice from a guy who works in the paint/body industry.
    My first thought was....If you don't know where to buy the paint....you have no business messing with it! But, that is how you learn. I would also urge you to look into local community college or trade school courses. There could be a class near you that will give you hands on experience to do just what Ray suggested.

Good luck with your paint job.

Seth