Will this setup work in my mav?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mashori, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    Hi everyone,I wanted to get the following stuff from bestbuy and install in a mav and wanted to know if you guy thinks that this would work and soynd decent.I wanted to get a -pioneer headunit with remote and aux input, 3 pre-outs (dont know what that is).-2X 5" infinity speakers-2X 6 x 9" infinity or kenwood-4 channel amp (50 rms per channel) to power themright now I only have the stock am radio

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Where are you going to put the 5" speakers?

3. dtb147

dtb147 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    My general rule of thumb is... If I don't know what it is I probably don't need it. However in your case you do. That's what you will plug your 4 channel amp into (the first two. the third would be for an amp to power a sub.)

There are plenty of ways to mount the speakers, the question is are you willing to sacrifice/replace stock interior pieces to do so.

4. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I was thinking of putting the 5" in the kick panels unless there is a better place that ya'll recommend. I decided to hold off on the amp for now. Gonna run everything through the headunit and see how it sounds. I think I am ok with sacrificing interior.

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Only thing about putting speakers in the kick panels of pre-'73 cars, is you will have to clearance the metal panel behind the plastic kick panel. There is a square hole back there on '70-'72 cars, you have to grind it round to allow the speaker magnet to recess back in that area. Really isn't that big of a deal, though if you have a grinder. '73 and up cars have a round opening back there from the factory for the optional speakers.

I have 5 inch Sony speakers in the front kick panels of my '72, the only thing about having them down there is you have to set the fade to the front a little bit more to even out the sound front to back. If you don't, the rear speakers will sound much louder then the front speakers which I find annoying because I like even sound throughout the car.

6. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I would assume that if I could somehow make the speakers face the seats a little more that would offset having to fade more to the front speakers. But that would mean that I have to do some fiberglass work to the kickpanel and it might make them stick out too much.

7. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have seen several guys mounting their front speakers in a center console/gear shifter console facing your inside leg...I kinda like that idea rather than cutting into kickpanels. Also, the sound would be bouncing off the windows and seems like it would "fill the car" a little better.

I have never heard one setup like this. Has anyone had any experience with these setups?

8. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I created kickpanel enclosures for 4" and its works alright. 5" enclosures would come too far out into the floor space for me. Still need to use the fader to offset the rear 6 1/2"speakers. Actually the Front Image Enhance feature on Pioneer stereos works pretty good. The plan is to replace the front 2-way 4ínchers with a 3 piece component system with much better mid-bass sound.

You may consider using the 4 channel amp for your system to power the speakers. Most aftermarket speakers require more wattage than the stereo alone can provide to sound their best. Other wise they distort easily when volume is turned up. I get around this by using the internal crossover and running a sub-woofer. The lower frequencies from your speakers will be the first and most noticable to distort. Move those lower freq to something that can handle the volume. You'll like it better.

9. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    GrabberGT, you're totally right on that. I finished the installation at when I turn it up it distorts pretty easily. I think I will need a sub and amp afterall. Originally I was going to have a 2 channel just for the 6x9's but I might as well go with sub and amp. Any suggestions for amp and sub setup? maybe I can put a small one in the middle hole in the back.

10. Rowdy J

Rowdy J Member

Vehicle:
    had 73 but it got stolen. looking for another
    if you want good quality sound, you should look into passive crossovers and speaker seperation. they have several different sets like tweeters and 5 1/4 or 6 1/2's. place the woofer in the kick pannels and the tweeter by your head somewhere. it gives depth to your system and brings out highs like you wouldnt believe.
    for the back, stock 6x9's or whatever 3 way sound descent. most cannot pull base, so you can run a sub (maybe bazooka tube in the trunk layed against the back seat) or something just to give you the lows so u can take the base away from your front speakers. with the 4 channel amp, run your front speakers on reduced gain so you dont kill em. and your back normal. should give great sound.
    in my maverick, i had 2 6x9's on the floor board under the seat in radio shack (back then), walmart brand (now) 6x9 boxes. they were pushed back snug facing forward and strapped to the under seat. i had 6x9's in the rear deck if i remember correctly. i also had 2 12" rockford fozgate punches in the trunk with a 400 wat amp. it was clear as a bell with the range of coverage, but speaker placement sucked. i can do MUCH better now (this was 16 years ago). now, you can take the same 6x9 boxes and slide em under the front of the seat for woofer only mode (cut the wire to the mids and tweeters in the floor 6x9, then place your remote tweeter at head level (you only mke 1 small drill hole for the tweeter instead of big holes in the kick panels)). this way, you can remove em later and you barely see your fronts speakers, but damit you hear em. place the cross overs under the seat to hide it. they will drop from around 20k-100 hz and your sub in the trunk will pick up the rest.

as dtb stated, you will need the pre amp connections. you have 2 types of leads coming out of your head unit. amped which drive speakers and preamp, which just carry signal to amplifiers. everytime you amplify, you ad distortion and thats what kills speakers. so, if you are runnin an external speaker, use the speaker wire...but if you are runnin to an amplifier, you dont want the amplified speaker leads which carry distortion, you want the leads before they are amplified (or preamp).
    i want to put a 15" kicker square sub or 1 18" and at least a 500 watt hiphonic sub amp in the trunk when i get my maverick.

oh, sony made some 3 way 8" speakers that dropped 20k- 20 hz for a long time. they bolted in a 6x9 hole. had great sound and played good base. u could give those alittle power and not worry about distortion much. set em in your rear deck. but the best sound you will get is with speaker seperation. using a cross over and running the correct frequency to the correct speaker. they have active (before the amp for multiple amp systems) or passive (after amp for 1 amp feeding many speakers).

tell me what music you listen too and your budget and i can research some stuff for u. also i need to know if you mind a few holes or small speaker boxes...or you would rather not cut anything.
    =)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  11. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Whoa! Settle down there, Rowdy! Step away from the keyboard.

:rofl2: (j/k) that's a lot of info (and it's appreciated - 'just gotta welcome the newbies to the board right properly. ;) )

12. Rowdy J

Rowdy J Member

Vehicle:
    rofl.
    sorry for my scatterbrained post. my mind goes at 90 mph all day especially when i am sharing info. so i will put many topics in each paragraph (and sometimes in the same sentence.)
    its even worse when you note the time of day i typed it up..=)

13. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Ha! No problem. It "sounds" like you're experienced in "sound".

'Always welcomed. :cheers:

14. Rowdy J

Rowdy J Member

Vehicle:
    navy electronics and sound as a hobby can be dangerous on the pocket book.. :dance:
    :rofl2:

15. Acedmav75

Acedmav75 Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    hey guys whats up. i have a 75 mav 2 door i got 2 sony explodes 6x9's that i wanna put in the back. the holes arent there though but through the trunk in the cage metal? i can see there is a slot for them i just gotta cut the hole. Any ideas on how to cut that material for the speakers and or what i should and shouldnt do?