Winning Mavericks

Discussion in 'The Trophy Room' started by Jean Doll, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    My next door neighbor and I took our Mavericks to an AACA show this past Sunday and the Mavericks did great. I should point out that the two Mavericks my neighbor owns technically belong to his grandsons, ages 15 and 12. He restored the two cars for them to someday own when they are older. The '73 Grabber belongs to the 12 year old and the '76 belongs to his 15 year brother. His dad drove the '76 to the show. The AACA judges crawled all over and under the cars at this show. They didn't want to miss a thing. My '77 and the 15 year olds '76 were in the same class along with about 12 other very nice cars. The 12 year olds Grabber was in the 1970 to 1973 class which was loaded with awesome cars too. It was hovering around 90 plus degrees and we were all feeling the heat pretty bad. At the end of the day my '77 took 1st place in it's class. That was really nice, but the best part was when both of the boys Mavericks won second place trophies in their classes. The 12 year old was so happy that when his name was called out he jumped out of the Grabber and started dancing!:yahoo::bananaman:bananaman The other people in his class were laughing and clapping their hands for him. His brother and his dad were both shell shocked when they won too. For me that was the best part of the whole day. Those two boys, with a little prodding from their grandpa, clean and fuss over those two Mavericks like they were gold. If anyone deserved to win something it was those two. I only wish I had gotten some pictures of the two of them, but the judges were in a hurry to get everyone out of there because of the heat and because of a thunderstorm threat coming in. Their grandpa told us later that the 12 year old hugged that trophy all the way home.:D Now they can't wait until next weekend to do it again.

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Congratulations ! Winning at a AACA show is something to be very proud of.
    I'm sure the judges were impressed that the cars belonged to the boys.

3. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    :dance: Good job. always a nice bonus.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    cool:...:Handshake...:thumbs2::

5. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

Awesome story! Congratulations to all three of you :)

6. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Congratulations! Great story and kudo's to Grandpa for leading the boys down the classic car path. Without people exposing the youngsters who will keep them alive? The cars that is.....

7. dan gregory

dan gregory Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    Always want to see well built cars in the winners circle.

8. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Congratulations! It's great to see the now generation getting involved in these old cars...
    That is the only way they will remain in existance.

9. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.

I totally agree. We almost never see too many really young car owners at the shows we go to that aren't driving tuners and super modified, motorized boom boxes. My neighbor's grandsons are the exception to that rule and like the older cars better. The two Mavericks my neighbor has are actually in his name, but in time they will go to his grandsons. Their father enjoys going to shows too and I would not be surprised if someday he ends up picking up an old car to play with too. The 15 year olds 1976 Maverick developed a cracked radiator over the weekend, so tomorrow my husband Dale and the boys grandpa will be teaching him how to replace it. If he's going to own it he'll have to know how to take care of it too. BTW, I was mistaken on the younger boys age. He is actually 10 years old. He just looks like he's twelve.