wiring info for stock Am/Fm stereo

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Mercurycruizers, May 16, 2005.

1. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Help!!!!
    I'm trying to replace the Am radio with a Am/Fm stock radio. The problem is, my Haynes & Chiltons manuals have no wiring diagram. I need to know what wires are speaker & power. Colors are: Orange/green stripe, Pink/purple, white/green, & Pink/green. I figure the 2 black/white wires are ground. I need tunes when I'm in the 72 Sprint....

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Probably simple to figure out ...

Ground the stereo and the "-" speaker connector. Set Balance to full right and fader to full front (if it has a fader) ... touch the wire to the "+" on the speaker until you hear sound ... Do this 4X for all 4 speakers (FR, FL, RR, RL) and you'll be good to go! :)

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Yea, and when your radio dosen't have any markings on it telling you which wire is which because your friend gave it to you, the "simple task" turns into a 2 1/2 hour "headache". :)

As far as the dash wires in the car go, it shouldn't be to hard to figgure out. If your car is all stock, the first thing you need to do is trace out a circuit that has power going to it even when the ignition is switched to off. I used the circuit that the dome light runs off of.

Your radio will have a red and a yellow wire. I can't remember which, but one of them goes to a constant power source (has power even when the key is off) and the other goes to a switched power source (I used the stock wire that powered the radio from the factory). To figgure out which wire is your factory radio power wire, the easiest way is to get a circuit tester thing with the light bulb in it that lights up when you find a wire with power. My dad had one in his tool box, but you could probably get them for cheap at Wal-Mart or Advance Auto, or somewhere. Then just touch it to all the wires until you find one that switches on and off with the key.

As far as the speakers go, if your car still has the stock speakers, trash them. For the rear speakers on our car, I just looked at what color the wires were to the positive and negative on each speaker and connected them acordingly to the new radio by what color the wires are. The stock dash speaker isn't worth hooking back up IMO.

On our car, the radio automatically grounded itself when the chassis of the radio touched the metal dash.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  4. Mercurycruizers

Vehicle:
    That's the problem. Old radio had a 2 plug connection. The stereo has a 6 plug connection. The radio that use to be in it, before I bought it was aftermarket. I'm having a hello of a time trying to figure it out...I have a test light to figure out the under dash wires. Just don't know which wires on the plug to connect to. I don't want to blow up the radio...The car has 2 speakers (6x9) in the rear window. I can figure out the speaker wires, after I figure out the power to the radio.

5. Mercurycruizers

Vehicle:
    I fixed it....Whoohoo!!!! I have tunes now.....

6. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    Logic tells me wires that all have 1 green wire would be a speaker ground then the colors would be the positive side just different colors, for front, back, left, right, once you know the green is ground I think trial and error will tell you whether you have the right rear wire in the left front spot, just don't get the ground and psotive reversed,

7. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    Ooops loks like the problem solved advise not needed, didn't read far enough down, sorry

8. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    glad you did... i have been off and on trying to figure out what goes where... so you say all the wires that have green in them are ground? ( for lack of better terms... neg?) good stuff!!!

9. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    I'm planning a similar conversion. Can you post instructions on how you did it?

Roz