yes an oil question for a mustang on a Maverick forum

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Bad1974maverick, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Bad1974maverick

Bad1974maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    I know this is a Maverick forum but I have a simple oil question.
    87 mustang 5.0 40K original vortech V1 super charger gt 40 heads Cobra R intake 70 mm throttle body yada yada almost 20K in motor. I got the car 15 years ago and as memory serves it only ever got 5w20 full synthetic.
    I can't find my big book O receipts and the car has sat 7 years broken. Now it's fixed and in need of an oil change. last time I got changed my dad had it done at a local walmart before our road trip 8 years ago. I told him full synthetic when he took it in but that doesn't mean anything given some of walmart charging tactics vs whats put in. Am I safe to have full synthetic to be put in this motor still or will I have problems. I know I know it's a mustang, but it is still a 302. I am paranoid as it took me the better part of a decade to get back on the road. any thoughts?

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Dino, blend or synthetic, what it should NOT have is 5W-20, 5W-30 is the recommended oil. That said, it's possible for a supercharger to squeeze the oil out of rod bearings at low RPM,. I used 0w-40 Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my supercharged Marauder. After the Marauder was sold, my Grand Marquis got the left over oil.

If you have a adversity to the best, at least use the recommended 5W-30.

3. Bad1974maverick

Bad1974maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    5-30! That was it! That's what it was not 5-20! I have every receipt for the car and after 7 years I knew it was 5 and high but couldn't remember. I am looking for that book, it even has the cars factory blue window sticker and build sheet.
    I have absolutely no adversity to the BEST! Can I go to Valvoline and get ow-4o mobil 1 or get it and do it myself? I know that 0w-40 is used in european cars, but I've never used it in a domestic car at least not one like mine.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    5w-30 was the suggested weight...you can put what ever you want in it...it's just oil.
    after sitting so long I would suggest firing it up run it to temp a couple of times and then drain oil/replace filter.

baddad457 likes this.
  5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I asked my motor Guy (Coupe Performance) that built my 347 how to break it in and what oil. he pointed to 3-4 cases of Advance Auto brand motor oil, said that't what he uses in his race motors , change it at 500 miles. as far as break in, he said he backs it out of the bay where the motor was installed and into the dyno room about 50 feet away, that's his break in mileage. I took it home, installed it...:outtahere:...:drive:...:chirp:

6. Bad1974maverick

Bad1974maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    I don't believe the motor needs broke in. I didn't touch the rotating assembly or the heads. It had multiple electronic, fuel and air problems that no mechanic could figure out. Finally Rabid Customs took a look at the car and was able to fix it.
    After 7 years sitting I couldn't remember what oil I kept in the car, I have all my info in a folder but can't find it. I thought it was 5 W and high (20?) full synthetic but as soon as Krazy Comet said 30 I remembered that was it.
    I've been driving the car short distances all week, grocery store and back and stuff.
    I'm off to get my oil changed!!

7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    In my opinion unless you have a physical limitation, being able to change one's own oil should be on the drivers tests. And that includes changing the filter.

mojo, JL Mav and Maverocket like this.
  8. Bad1974maverick

Bad1974maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    The only reason I don't on this car is the heartache it has caused me. It's the only car I own I don't change my own oil in. It's a long story that starts with the first owner (I'm the second) and sponsors when it raced and having every receipt for every thing ever done including oil changes to wiper blades. I have the build sheet and factory blue window sticker. I have every receipt for anything ever done to it that wasn't done by him or me. I got the car in 2007. it had 15K on the odo.
    I have a 60 falcon ranchero with a 289 and a 74 Maverick grabber 302 I have rebuilt and could do blindfolded. But this car is a bit different to me. So I treat it a bit different.