2005 Mustang 8.8 rear width?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by jayman, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jayman

jayman Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick/72 Grabber
    I am curious what the width of the 2005-2008 Mustang 8.8 rear is from wheel mount point to wheel mount point. It is possible to get a new take-off 8.8" 31 spline 3.31:1 traction lock rear for $600. If the rear is close in width, this might make a decent low buck upgrade.

Anyone here either know or willing to measure the critical dimensions for us?

2. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

I can measure mine sometime in the next couple of days.

3. jayman

jayman Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick/72 Grabber
    Thanks loads. This web site has some interesting new takeoff parts.

http://www.newtakeoff.com

I am interested in the 2005 charcoal wheel and tire set for $699 as that would work well with the Vintage Venom brake kit for my beater car.

4. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Isn't that an idependent rear suspension?

I saw a 'how to' on swapping in a late 8.8 IRS, from a Stang I believe, into early Stangs.
    Anyway, this brings me to the width...
    The article said the rear was too wide to go into a 65-66 Stang without a great deal of trouble.
    If that is the case, the Maverick is even narrower, so it wouldn't work.

That said, I don't have the measurements or know anything for sure.
    Take it as here-say.

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I just bought one of those take-off rears for my V6 Mustang (factory on V6 is open rear with 3.31:1 gears) ... I bought the 3.73:1 version with T-Lok .... 65 1/2 inches from axle to axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

thanks, now I dont have to measure mine :thumbs2:

7. jayman

jayman Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick/72 Grabber
    Thanks for posting. With a difference of 9", I don't see how to make this work without having it shortened by about 3.5" per side. Beyond my abilities at this time.

Oh, well, it was worth investigating. :cool:

8. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Mustang 8.8

Ratio 411,

The 2005 Mustang went back to a solid axle and they added a three link suspension instead of a four link. Ford surveyed owners and found that drag racers were breaking the IRSs. We have a 2007, and I am here to tell you that the three link works great. Push it hard over a bumpy corner and it just flat handles ... no twitchy tail-happy spooky handling ... it sticks.

Guys,
    Here is a great alternative to the new Mustang 8.8 ... look at Explorer rear axles. I am still assembling research, which I will put into a new post when I have all the facts, but it looks VERY promising.

Explorers come with 3.73 and 4.10 gears and it is not uncommon to find them with posi. They have 31 spline axles, so this puts them very close to the best 9 inch rears in strength. The later axles (95 on up) with disc brakes measure 59 and 3/4 inches, so that would work with some newer deep backspace wheel. I need to measure a drum brake earlier axle. I have every reason to believe it is a couple inches narrower and would work perfectly with my Magnum wheels. This needs verification too ... it looks like the only change needed might be the spring pads. They are on the correct bottom side of the axle, but too close together, from some rough details that I have currently. I need to find one and measure it personally.

Matter of fact ... let's start that new post now ... (y)