302 Emblem Placement

Discussion in 'Technical' started by FL_Dave, Feb 2, 2021.

1. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    I recently purchased new front quarter panel "Maverick" emblems for my 77 and what a difference they make. The previous owner who did the body work on the car removed all of the emblems and filled the holes because he was after a solid look including painted bumpers.

I have since replaced the bumpers with new chrome ones and also added back the chrome hood trim piece and properly painted the headlight bezels to recreate the original look which also transformed the car in a great way. Now I'm considering also adding "302" emblems to the car as well. I've always thought these were tasteful when located properly even though I'm sure it was never a stock feature.

302 Emblem.jpg

I cannot find any references on where these should be placed, but when looking at some Mustang and Torino pics I tend to see them directly above or below the quarter panel emblem. I also see them located just behind the headlight on the quarter panel as well. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any advise. I'm not looking to replicate original either, just want to look proper if I do. Thanks!

2. William623

William623 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    Never were an option on these cars but most of the time I have seen it they are placed just below the fender emblems.

3. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    They never came on a Maverick or Comet from the factory so place them where you like the looks of them the best

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    There is not much room between the body line and the Maverick fender emblem. Depending on how tall your 302 emblem is, it might not fit in there. On my 72 I have the Brazilian GT emblem. It is only around 3/4" tall and pretty much fills in that spot. I don't have a close-up - but here is a picture.

IMGP1386.JPG

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick feedback. I put the Maverick emblems right where they go but as one of you pointed out, that doesn't leave a lot of room for the 302 under that. The ones I'm finding are 4" L and 1.5" tall. It may be better to put it above it, so I'll play around and see what looks best.

I also like the ones with the 302 nestled into the chevron 302 emblem with chevron.jpg but that seems to be a Bronco and early Mustang logo. Does it really matter? Probably not, but I do value the opinions.

6. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    William, once I finish the bumper replacement I'll post pictures with the changes since you know what it looked like before. I'm waiting for new headlight adjustment screws to reassemble the headlights. Not surprisingly they were all rusted up when I removed the bezels.

7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    AFAIK the 302 version is aftermarket, chevron in factory call out 260 & 289.

Most all engine emblems through '69 were on front of fender, approx centered between weelwell & front of fender(ones on scoops exception). In '70 was a shift to lower part of fender, behind wheel opening,.

8. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Thanks again guys, this has been very helpful. I think I've settled on a simple smaller rectangle shaped emblem which will fit below the Maverick emblem and accent my color scheme really well. 302 emblem black.jpg This seems to be a pretty standard emblem that nots associated with any manufacturing dates or models.

71gold likes this.
  9. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I have one on my air cleaner top. That way I don't have to tell everyone it's a 302 at car shows and cruise ins. I've had people say is it a 289 or 351 even had some ask me if it's a 350.

10. William623

William623 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    Spin
    Sounds like a plan! Can’t wait to see them.

11. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    He, he 'nuther non std. Orig made in 351, 390, 427 & 428, used on non shaker scoops of '69 Torino GT, plus 69 & 70 GT Mustangs. Any model '69 Fairlane/Torino/Cobra used them with 428 Ram-Air option. Shaker optioned '70 Stangs had either 428 or maybe 351, shaker not available with 390. The 427 emblem never used, as those engines were dropped after '68, emblems appeared in '69.

EDIT that emblem in 428 flavor is on scoop of my '69 Cobra, can be seen in sig link below.

12. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    That’s when the fun begins..... that’s a small block 429 bored & stroked to 572!:cool:

Ronald Hopkins likes this.
  13. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    I realize that the black emblem I chose was originally on hood scoops, but the description said it is also used on fenders and grills so I'm going with it. I also like that this is a smaller emblem too (3" x 3/4"), whereas the chrome ones are pretty large at 4" x 1.5". I'm leaning toward the forward section of the fender just behind the bumper, but we'll see I guess.

14. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Are nice emblems, can put 'em anywhere they fit. As far as factory usage on anything other than scoops, they're FOS.

Ford was big on placing 289 on front fenders of Falcon & Fairlane through '67. Early '68 had 302 with 289 retired. When I say early, only about first six weeks production. UAW hit Ford with a 61 day strike in Sept that ran into Nov. Many things changed, with absence of badging on 302 vehicles being one of them. The '68 302 fender emblem did find use on Bronco(around '70 I believe). I have 'em on my '69 Fairlane, those never received any ID smaller than 351. Of course '69-'70 Mustang with 302 Boss was widely publicized.

BTW the '68-'69 Mercury Montego & Cyclone used badging on lower fender, behind tire. Emblem pictured was on a Montego, I've had it since the '70s.

302fairlane.JPG

15. FL_Dave

FL_Dave Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Good stuff Tom, thanks. The one you show here is the one I prefer actually, but I like the black one as well. I also feel like this particular emblem is specifically associated with Fords from the 60's vs. 70's, so it would look more out of place on the Mav.

There doesn't seem to be any specific rule of thumb for Mavericks because they were never badged this way even on the Grabbers, and I see it as one of those deals where if it's done tastefully, and you're not trying to maintain 100% originality, then anything goes. And my car definitely is not original. I just want it to look tasteful and tell people it's packing a 302 vs. a 6. I've seen some people using the 5.0 emblem which to me doesn't look right, but to each their own. If I don't like it, I can take them off since they are adhesive. For $10 ea., no harm no foul.

By the way, you're Fairlane Cobra is very nice. Definitely don't see many of those.

Krazy Comet likes this.