351w Headers

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 29EssexRat, Jun 12, 2018.

1. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    Are there any 1 3/4" primary headers that'll fit a 351w in a 72 2dr maverick besides Crites? Short, Mid, or Long tubes with a 3" collector. Figure the increased size of the primaries will bring more power than the length of the header, and the Crites headers are a bit pricey.

Rambling:
    Currently have 6901s or 88300s from previous owner, when the car had a 289. Yes 289. A 351w has a deck height ~1.3" taller than the 302, so was also thinking of making some 1 3/4" headers based off of the 6901s, but that drop down ~1.3" or so, that way they are not hitting the floor/firewall, also maybe bringing them in a bit closer to the engine for possible needed framerail clearance. That's all fine and dandy, but they would be time consuming to make, and without a pipe bender, would probably end up spending more on prebent pipe than what I could purchase the Crites headers for ($495).
    Was also thinking of maybe dropping the motor down with some solid motor mounts to get some more clearance?
    Or maybe I should give up, set the 351w aside, and go pull a junkyard 302 and see how long it takes to crack the block...

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    go with a 5.0/347...:drive:...:chirp:

3. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    I agree with Frank. My Comet originally had a 302, I installed a 351w then went to a 302 roller.

4. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    I'd make my own headers before putting a 5.0 in. Already have the built 351 and currently building the trans.

5. Falcenac

Falcenac Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick 71 Comet G.T. 76 Comet 4 door 61 Falcon x2 60 Frontenac
    I made my own for my 351 swap if you have some fabrication skills and some patience not so bad.

6. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
  7. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Mandrel J bends are pretty cheap. If you don't want to go full on custom?.. just mod an off-shelf 302 header like many others have done in the past.

And don't discount longer primary pipe lengths for a street engine. Running a bigger cam and shorties allows more port to port cross talk and reversion which makes these things tougher to tune and kills more torque and response.

8. Rick

Rick G8I operations

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    I agree, why downgrade at this point, make it work. What trans are you going with?

9. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    Working on building my C4 up, was planning to buy parts from Broader Performance unless you have better input. Trans needs to hold up to 600 ish.

jasonwthompson likes this.
  10. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I had Jay from Broader Performance build my current C4. My engine is just basically a carbureted 5.0 H.O., so not that radical. The transmission shifts hard and fast like a hammer striking an anvil, which is what I wanted. All I can say is that if I ever have transmission needs, I will be taking them to Broader Performance for as long as they are in business. Why just source the parts from them, why not let them build it for you as well?

11. 29EssexRat

29EssexRat Member

Vehicle:
    Too Many Projects
    Well... actually in the past week I picked up a rebuilt transmission for $150. It has new seals, and came with a slip yoke. So I figure if it's bad, I didn't lose any money. So now I'm thinking I'll just throw my 289 in it, see if that trans works, and work on saving more money up to possibly just buy a broader transmission, and then build up a 351w, put a 9" in the car, subframe connectors, etc. Start with the rear and work with my way to the front. You know, how you build a car haha. Also have a 1972 Vega drag car that I need to put an engine and trans in, and put the front half of the roll cage in. So ya, just saving my money for now as long as this transmission is any good.

jasonwthompson likes this.