5.0 HO swap?! Help?!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by MsMegen73, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MsMegen73

MsMegen73 Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick
    Hey there everyone! I have a 73' Maverick, currently with a 302 v8. Nothing fancy done to it yet, just a double barrel and manifold swap. I'm looking to swap a 5.0 fuel injected engine from a late 80s model Fox Body Mustang.

My thoughts were to grab one off the ol' Craigslist and gut it out (as I'm also in need of a 5 speed and Ford 9 in/8.8 inch)

I'm looking a 4:11 gearings as I need strong low end, but still some kind of street ability on the highway. (My Mav is being built for Autocross a probably won't get past third gear in most runs.)

Not too sure if the stock c5 transmission will be enoughto handle those gears or not?

I'm just looking for some insight, feed back and wise words. This is all a learning process for me as it is my first built. Any additional help would be amazing!!!

Thank you everyone!!:feedback:

2. MaverickDan

MaverickDan I wanna go fast!!!

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Maverick 4dr
    The stock trans (a c4, not a c5) will be able to handle those gears without a problem, but still recommend a shift kit. I would actually think they would make the trans live longer, as there is less load going through it. As far as highway driving goes with a 3spd, forget it, it will be screaming, 3.55's is a better compromise gear if no OD . If you're going to hook the late model 5.0 to the c4 you'll need to get an aftermarket 50oz 157t flexplate.

3. MsMegen73

MsMegen73 Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick
    I meant a c5 from a fox body mustang (86? 87?) sorry for not being specific enough. :) I'm looking to replace my whole power plant, trans and rear end with a fuel injected 5.0, 5 speed transmission and 9".

4. Bum's_Steer

Bum's_Steer Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 2-dr. (Grabber clone) 1970 Maverick 2-dr.
    The two major things you'll have to deal with is converting to EFI and converting to a hydraulic clutch system, or making a mechanical linkage work with the newer T-5.....I think there's multiple tech articles here that deal with most every aspect of the swap(s)

There's some Guru's of Maverick/Comet knowledge and experience here that can lead you to them and through them

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I think you mean...T-5

MsMegen73 likes this.
  6. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    the fox mustangs come with a 8.8 not a 9". also they use a 4 link rear suspension so the 8.8 cant just be transferred into the maverick with out extensive fabrication.
    the motor will need to be switched to the front sump oil pan that is on your current motor. you will need to decide if you want to use the serpitine drive on the 5.0 or transfer the v belt drive from your current motor. the timing chain cover will need to be changed if you go to the v belt.
    the t5 will need a custom transmission crossmember. that can be fabricated or purchased from frank f on this board. the support rib in the tunnel will be needed to be trimmed to clear the top of the transmission. you will need to add a clutch pedal and can use the cable from the mustang or use a hydraulic set up. i prefer the hydraulic set up. it has better feel and lower effort. the cables usually have issues with interfering with the exhaust.
    you will need to modify your gas tank for an efi fuel system. that will require a return line at the least. a fuel pump system will need to be chosen and the appropriate modifications will need to be made.

7. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    Contact info for Frank F?

8. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    sorry its not frank f. his handle is 71gold and his name is frank also

9. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    MsMegen73 likes this.
  10. jsmithink

jsmithink Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1960 2 door Comet, 1961 4 door Comet
    I have a fuel injected 347 in my 70...The Explorer/GT40 intakes will not clear the stock export braces (rear of firewall to shock towers), so I am building my own. I have an Explorer 8.8 with 4.11s under the car right now, but the pinion offset is too much, so I am swapping in a narrowed Explorer 8.8. Trans is a TKO600, would not fit without a custom crossmember and firewall/trans tunnel work.

Gorb17jdy likes this.
  11. MsMegen73

MsMegen73 Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick
    Lots of research to do! Thank you for te feed back! Until I get a genuine educated grasp on what I'm doing.. I started with some aesthetics. Pulled off the trim, scotch brighted the pin striping, and changed my thermostat. (Old one wasn't opening anymore) switched to a lower degree thermo, works like a charm.

Attached Files:

12. MsMegen73

MsMegen73 Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick
    Thank
    thanks!