9 inch rear?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by NaughtyDog, Feb 17, 2014.

1. NaughtyDog

NaughtyDog Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Hey guys its mike here, and I was just wondering, I'm switching out my 8.8 narrowed rear for a 1965 or 66 mustang and I really wanted to know if that would work and if it does do I just bolt it right on or do I have to do other things? my w.m.s to w.m.s is 54.5 and I talked to a guy and he was talking about putting a ford bronco rear end in there, the only reason why I want a different rear end is Im tires of having the 4 lug and skinny tires ha. Please and good information on what you guys did to your that have switched from a 4 lug would be very helpful

thank you

2. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I have a 9 inch disc brake rear in mine from a Granada - just slightly wider overall and it bolts right up to your springs :)

3. NaughtyDog

NaughtyDog Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick

Thank you I appreciate your response There is a couple of those for sale in my state so ill take a look at them.

Thank you

4. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    They came in some Ford Granada's and some Mercury Monarch's with some drum or some disc, 6 cylinders or V8s - there seemed to be no pattern as to which ones got the 9 inch. Now the Lincoln Versailles, which was based on the Granada chassis, all got the 9 inch with discs. Really high gear ratios though and heavy cumbersome and somewhat hard to find disc brake parts. The main thing is the rear fits and you can always change the disc parts for lighter components as I did :)