AfterMarket A/C

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by ChiefRocka, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ChiefRocka

ChiefRocka Father/Son 69.5 Build

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick
    Hey guys...

I have a Factory A/C 69.5 Maverick.

If I cannot restore the factory Evap box to operational condition, which types have you tried ??

I am familiar with, and have done many VinAir units on many GM classics, both in kit form and universal … not afraid of fabrication.

What about a Falcon kit from Classic Air or Old Air ?

2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I would say you can find parts to restore the original AC box. I know I have boxes I am parting out.

Ford Freak likes this.
  3. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    There have been some folks here that have used aftermarket systems. You may have to do some creative searches to find their posts.

I restored my 1972 A/C box using a gasket kit for a Mustang of the same era. I also had box out of a later Mav, 1976 I think, that I borrowed some parts out of. There is a big difference in the A/C core in in the later box, different design, even though the boxes look similar externally.

These boxes are big. I compare removing one from a complete car as "like pulling a molar out of a T-Rex". You have about an inch of wiggle room in any direction. Get a helper to guide you if reinstalling it. I fought it repeated solo, and had it done in a couple minutes with another pair of eyes under the hood. Just for a smaller size alone, an aftermarket A/C may be a good choice.

See post 74 on the page in the link ...

http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/captains-comet.55560/page-5

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018