BAFFLED??? 1990 5.0 EFI problem...

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Tech & Talk' started by ratio411, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Riddle me this...
    The E4OD tranny went out on my truck the other day, or so I thought.
    It has been running a little rough, then, turning a corner, it shifted into 3rd and suddenly lost the gear. I limped the truck home in 2nd, about 3 miles. It would shift into 3rd, but just rev, no forward propulsion.

I have had plenty of problems with my Ford trucks/vans E4ODs... They all have that tranny and give issues, so I instantly thought "oh no, not again".:huh:

The truck ran okay home in 2nd gear, and I shut it down.

Knowing that if I had lost a gear, the fluid would be full of black dust, if not burnt and brown too, I checked the trans fluid (engine off).

Surprise... It was crystal clear, clean red... no black dust, no smells, no discoloration at all. Not even milk or bubbles (aeration).

I then decided to start the truck up again and do a proper level check.

NO FIRE!:hmmm:

The fuel pump cycles, the engine spins like crazy, but you'd think someone had taken out the rotor! It won't hit a lick, won't even try, not a bit of spark.

What the he-double hockey sticks went out!?!

Are the tranny gear loss and engine not firing the same problem or a million to one back to back failure of 2 seperate items?!?

Ideas?
    Thanks!
    Dave

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Sounds like when the cam shaft position sensor went out on my Dodge van, but I don't think Ford uses the same system......
    Man, you guys keep your vans for a long time, a 90 Ford van up here would be beat and rusted out. My uncle in Tampa, has all early 90's Ford vans.

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Sounds like you developed an electrical problem...Check the basics first....Grounds/connections etc...Good luck!!!

4. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    on the trans check the plug on the passenger side of the trans. it gets brittle from being close to the exhast and can cause the problems you described.

for the not starting, was the motor hot or cold?
    if its hot then most likely its the tfi module for the distributor. im not sure if its still on the distributor in 90 or has the remote mount location on the fire wall.
    if cold. then you need to start doing some testing to see if you get a rpm signal at the computer.

5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    If you were closer I'd give you an E4OD. I have one out of a Bronco that should be good, it worked when it went upside-down!

6. Comick76

Comick76 Grease Monkey

Vehicle:
    76 Comet
    Ignition will operate without the computer at base timing(like the SPOUT bridge is removed) Two things I can think of to cause both problems at once is the TFI module. Since it sends the RPM data to the PCM then the PCM makes a determination based on load(MAP sensor) and throttle angle(TPS) to put the transmission in an appropriate gear. And, of course, the TFI fires the coil. And second is the Pick-up coil for basically all the same reasons. Unfortunately the E4OD is also known for numerous problems including distortion of the valve body.

7. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Lead frames in the E4OD were known for shorts/open circuits inside the trans. unplug the trans and see if the truck will start. If it still won't, check and make sure a fuse isn't blown from an internal trans short. If it all checks out, put a voltmeter on the IAC red wire and check for 12v, that circuit is the same as the power feed from the EEC relay to the PCM.

8. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the ideas guys.
    All I have tried so far is pulling the spout to make it fire, but no change.
    I have walked away from it for a bit to cool down and think.
    I don't use the truck everyday, so I have that luxury.
    I'll probably play with it again this coming weekend, using your ideas.

Thanks again!
    Dave

9. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    It was a loose wire on the transmission... :rolleyes:

10. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Awesome! Glad you found it and thanks for following up. Everybody wins!:thumbs2: