best trans for a 302

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by JD71, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT

The transmission itself should be fine if you had it built to hold 600hp

Of course, you'd need the correct converter for your 200, but you should never tear it up with a little 200

2. JD71

JD71 John Kenney

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    wheres a good kit i can get?

3. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    The best kit on the market is at Broader Performance.
    They also sell the kit for more clutches in the direct and forward clutches.
    If you are going to build it for 600 hp you will need them.
    add in a TransGo 40-2 kit (70 and later C4's) and ask for the Broader mods.

4. JD71

JD71 John Kenney

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    the 351c will be mostly stock with a real big cam and valvetrain to match with the 4 valve heads. id say about 450 hp. what trans gear spread and whar rearend gears would yall suggest?

5. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    The bigger the cam the lower the rear gears. Where are you getting 4 valve heads? You mean 4 barrel heads? With a C4 you don't get to choose your gear spread - it comes with one gear set. Your rear gears are best selected to either provide a good cruising rpm(2500) at 60 -70 mph or you can select the gears to give you your top rpm as you go through the quarter mile or for a top speed that you are trying to acheive. I would say select them for the use that the car will have - 3.50 to 3.80.
    That way it will cruise on the freeway without running at 4000 rpm.

6. JD71

JD71 John Kenney

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    ok first, what is the 4 bbl? i thought it ment 4 valve. and from that 3.5 to 3.8 cruzin speed which is closer to the faster acceleration , higher or lower gears?

7. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    JD71,
    The 4bbl is the heads made for use with the factory 4 barrel manifold and carb. There has never been a factory head with 4 valves. The higher the number of the gears the better the acceleration. 5.56 gears will accelerate faster than 2.92 but the 2.92 will give a higher cruising and top speed.
    If you put in a massive cam to take advantage of the full power of the heads you will be turning the 351C 4bbl at over 7000 rpm. with an automatic transmission you will need a converter with a stall speed of 4000 rpm. I suggest you consult a professional to assist you with planning this engine so it will be compatible with the street cruiser that you are talking about. I would also recommend that you use a 351W because they are better suited to street duty.

8. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Just to clarify... some people call 4 barrel manifolds 4V manifolds.. The V stands for Venturis in that situation, not valves.

9. JD71

JD71 John Kenney

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    ok so the 4 bbl just stands for the mainfold? ive decided that the car wont be a daily driver it will be more of a car that i go drive for fun, i will still be using gears that could cruize good but they will be a little bit higher than regular cruizin gears. i will probably take it to the strip every now and then on the weekends.

10. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I'd go with a 3.50 or a a bit lower.. maybe even down to 4.11 then

My mustang has a mild 302 and C4 in it and Im going to be running 4.10 gears but it wont be my daily driver either. Of course, it could be as little as my commute to work is. I just wouldnt want to drive it on the interstate, but back highway roads would be fine.

11. baddad457

baddad457 Member

2bbl and 4bbl Cleveland heads are worlds apart in terms of flow. The 4 bbl Cleveland head (to the uninformed) can be best decribed as a big block Chevy head adapted to fit a 351 cube motor. Ford "Borrowed" the design from Chevy. They use the same size valves as the big Chevy head, even use the same rockers. Valve sizes for the 4 bbl head were 2.19/1.71, the 2 bbl valves were 2.05/1.60. The port sizes were also different, the 4bbl intake port is nearly large enough to stuff Tennis balls into. The 2bbl heads are plenty good enough for the street, there's really no need to run out and buy 4bbl heads, unless you just want the ultimate heads. The aftermarket aluminum heads are closer to the 2bbl heads in port size. So you see, the intake isn't the only thing differentiating the 2 bbl vs 4bbl Clevelands.

12. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    Very well said.

My statement about intakes earlier was in general, not just about a Cleveland.

Thanks for clarifying

13. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    Yep! those 4bbl heads need a lot of air going through them to keep a consistant fuel-air mix. As stated earlier, the 2bbl heads are better suited to the street.