Borgeson steering question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jerry, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Jerry

Jerry Member

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick 2dr 302, 74 LDO
    I am considering putting the borgeson power steering box in my 72 with floor shift auto. I understand you have to shorten the steering column a couple inches since the new rag joint sits closer to the firewall. But I have searched the forums quite a bit and haven't seen any discussion about what is done with the wheel lock shaft/lever. With the floor shift I could probably do without it. In some cases it seems the column needs to be shortened so much that the rag joint is almost right at the firewall. That wouldn't leave room for the lock lever, right? So how have you dealt with this?

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    My understanding is there is no room for the lever so it's cut away.

3. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Yes, rag joint fits close to firewall, in order to keep bolts from destroying foam firewall isolation, I reversed and welded to metal plate. Lever removed from column. Only thing I didn’t do was put some kind bearing in bottom of column, have no negative issues w/o it.
    I had to remove slight amount of metal from floor plate.

Attached Files:

4. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    mojo likes this.
  5. Jerry

Jerry Member

Vehicle:
    When you removed the lever from the column did you have to do anything at the top end to keep it from locking the wheel? I haven't taken the column apart so not such how all that is actually connected.

6. Jerry

Jerry Member

Vehicle:
  7. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    No, haven't had any issues!

8. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    It is not as bad or difficult as it may seem, see my posting/pictures on replacing rag joint with U Joint.
    http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-maverick-or-comet-today.75605/page-832

If you are going with the Borgeson conversion, I would highly recommend replacing the large rag joint with U Joint and would allow the outer column tube to still extend past the firewall, plus it gives a more cleaner look.
    Tody (Thomas) has a nice write up in his thread.
    Also, in my above mentioned posting, you can purchase the lower bearing/retainer for our steering column(https://www.ebay.com/itm/284911147647), so basically all you would have to do is cut both the column and inner tube. Yes, you would still have to purchase U Joint, and 1" DD tubing (borgeson p/n: 409536) which would replace the existing OEM. U Joint would be 3/4-36 spline by 1" DD. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/294926114680)

Where the neutral safety/back up switch is located at the bottom of the column, underneath it, the column has a slot with a "lever" to activate the switch. When either the column shift lever or floor shift lever is in park it is rotated to one side and key can be removed. When in drive it is now rotated to other side and key can not be removed. So once the lower portion of the inner tube, where the linkage is attached is cut, you just have to make sure that the inner tube is rotated either CW or CCW to the "park" location, so key can be removed and then the steering wheel can be locked. There is approx. 1/8 th rotation of the inner tube.
    I think member Tody "pinned" the inner tube to column in the park location.........
    David

note: if you use 1" DD tubing, will have to get correct bearing for it, the link is what I used with 3/4" DD....
    here is bearing for 1" DD tubing, but OD maybe too small to fit above mentioned bearing/retainer........
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/401220085015

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    mojo likes this.
  9. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Still really no ideal way (that I've seen) to route the hoses with the spring towers in these cars...

10. mojo

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Cometized "Chip" on the forum has IIRC has installed a few in his cars and routed hoses through wheel well.

TeeEl likes this.
  11. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I have not done this conversion, but when contemplating it, that is how I envision running the hoses, soft line from pump to apron, hard line in wheel well through rear apron into gearbox.

12. Jaybee

Jaybee Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    That's a great idea. It would look clean, keep the lines away from exhaust heat, and maybe you could plumb a power steering cooler in as well. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/quick-tech-is-a-power-steering-cooler-necessary/