Bought a 72 comet 4.1l ..... now what

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by not_a_ford_guy, Jun 23, 2022.

1. not_a_ford_guy

not_a_ford_guy Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    hi everbody;
    I'm new here but not new to classic cars. A neighbor had a 72 comet in his barn at a price I couldn't say no to. So now it's in my driveway. Parts for most of the usual issues are either installed or on their way. I'm leaving the L6 I nit for now until I get the usual electrical and suspension bugs worked out of her. As I'm buying parts I'm keeping the crate 302 planned for next year in mind. I'll also be adding disk breaks all the way round, a 9" rear end, some fiberglass to make her stand out, updated lights..... lots of goodies. Since I've been a long time Mopar guy and avoided all things Ford like they are sacrilegious I've got lots of questions before I start throwing money down this most recent hole.

1: Are there a set of front spindles that are factory bolt in for the disk brake swap or a kit that doesn't require machining. Alternatively, does anybody know someone around Knoxville Tn that could do the machining. I'm sure I could manage it myself, but I've got several business to run and my wife will be the one driving most.

2: Master cylinder and booster suggestions that will fit into the crowded bay after a 302 gets shoe horned into it.

3: rear springs suggestions, concerns and general no goes for the 9" swap.

4: wheel spacing concerns after the disk brake swap. I want shiny things and there is a potential analysis paralysis of choices out there before I've got things installed to measure. I'd prefer to stay away from any known issues at the beginning of the build.

Im sure Ill have more questions down the line, but I'm looking forward to hearing from people. even if its to have you tell me to use the search function to answer my own questions.

2. Charlie57

Charlie57 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1957 Chevy, 1989 F150, 1932 Chevy, 1978 VW Bus

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  4. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    If you want to use a PB system with the V-8 just look to later year ones with a 302 and PB discs for what to use in yours. Not much changed from 71-77. 6cyl one might work, but check to see if they used the same on a V-8 and 6 cylinder cars.
    9" rearend isn't really needed even if you drag race it with a 4spd and slicks. Good beefed up 8" works nicely and saves weight. All 5 lug Mav/Comets are 8" and bolt right in.
    As for front discs, most kits SSBC, etc, bolt to factory spindles. Personally I prefer new stronger spindles they supply with their stuff.
    Rear springs, depends on the ride you want. I want with 4 leaf instead of 3 because I wanted stronger springs and lift the rearend some.
    You don't need wheel spacers, just the right rims.

Attached Files:

Ronald Hopkins and mojo like this.
  5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Spindles/bearings from '70(not '69½) are all same size, whether on a 6cyl Mav/Comet or your granny's 429 Country Squire wagon.

I'm still waitin' for a wheel to fall off my Cobra Jet do fact it uses the smaller '69 & earlier spindles.

not_a_ford_guy likes this.
  6. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    Welcome to the forum. Baer makes an economical disc brake conversion kit that uses the existing spindles. Www.baer.com. Also use the search function function on this forum using words like disc brakes. Same with other topics such as springs.

7. not_a_ford_guy

not_a_ford_guy Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    The 9” with 3.91 gears was free. I’ve debated selling it and getting an 8” but I haven’t done the cost comparison, rotational mass maths and HP loss at the bigger axle to figure out what’s going to be better. Rear quarters and trunk floor already need metal work so tubbing it is definitely on the table. That’s where the Possible need for a PB system comes in. Allot of the build will be determined by how much money I dump into the 302 build to max out the HP. Goal is to make 350+ HP but we all know how build plans go. I’ve debated cheating and just buying a crate motor, but that completely defeats the point of buying a car to build with the boys. Car has a LONG way to go before I have to worry about that. No matter what I do the 4 lug situation it has right now needs to go.

How’s your car handle in the corners with the bigger springs?

8. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    Handles great, less roll. Not so much bigger but stiffer. If the 9" you have has the spring perches and is the correct width for your car, use it.
    PB system isn't for higher HP engines. The vacuum issue can make them unusable. Besides you have to find a way to fit it in there especially with maybe taller valve covers. I use manual front discs on a 68 Cougar with a 460 and my 66 Stang with a 331 stroker. Takes more leg pressure, but I can lock them up or just gently use them. You also get a better feel for the brakes with a manual system.

9. not_a_ford_guy

not_a_ford_guy Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet

I’m sure I’ll run into all kinds of space issues during the build. Checked out the 9”. It’s too wide. Buddy and I are getting big plans together for putting the 4.1 liter into a rail buggy so it might get used in that. Anybody ever tried using an 8” out of an explorer? It was a suggestion from a friend and I haven’t looked into it much.

10. not_a_ford_guy

not_a_ford_guy Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet

Looking at this system. https://baer.com/11-Front-SS4-Plus-Brake-System-4261379.html

a
    ny install quirks?

Is their master cylinder required/ suggested for top operation?

Wheel clearance issues if I step up to the 13”? Everything on this comet is so little so I’ve got clearance concerns trying to run a 17” wheel and I don’t want to spend the $$$$ on low pro rubber. Yes I know it handles better in the corners, but let’s be honest about the overall handling capability of a non rack and pinion car.

11. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
  12. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    as Mike pointed out, the explorer is an 8.8. you will need to trim all the brackets off and weld on leaf spring mounts.

13. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Welcome! Let me add to the confusion. I have had factory power disc brakes, manual drum, and manual disc. IMHO, you will be fine with manual disc brakes, the factory power disc brakes were an afterthought by Ford and certainly look like it.
    [​IMG]

However there have been some folks that used a different master & booster to fit it behind the shock tower, instead of pointing up and out.

TeeEl, mojo and not_a_ford_guy like this.
  14. not_a_ford_guy

not_a_ford_guy Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
  15. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Get the 9-inch narrowed to 57-1/2 inches. Maverick 8-inch is 56-1/2", but that's a bit too narrow to begin with.

If you want power brakes, go with after-market booster and master cylinder.

Get a new set of leaf springs from ESPO Springs-n-things.

4-inch wheel back-space is ideal for Mavericks.

There are several after-market disc brake options available. An easy stock conversion is to use Maverick/Granada disc brake spindles, calipers, & rotors. They are 11-inch rotors. . Get the front brake lines for a '74 Maverick/Comet with disc brakes. If you want bigger brakes, you'll need to go with after-market...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    CaptainComet, mojo and not_a_ford_guy like this.