Car wont start!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Jony, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    If you over heated the motor that bad you might have alot more of a problem then you think.

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    It is possible for the car to start in gear as the Stallion does, po took the neutral safety/park safety switch off of the transmission for some reason and jumped wires together at the harness that went down to the switch. Discovered this when I was looking into why the back up lights did not work as they used the hot wire to hook up to electric choke. Have discovered a lot of no nos the po did. No it was not Wilbur that did these things someone before he had it

Also on an after market floor shifter if the little micro switches are not set correctly you can run into same condition.

I think with all the problems you are having with heat issues and such I would see if you can even turn the engine over by hand by turning it with the crankshaft damper bolt. You may have lost the weight on the flexplate or ? figure out where the leak is coming from and maybe pull the inspection plate off at the front of the transmission bell housing

3. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 5.0L 302 v8 NA
    I've tried starting it in different gears but it didn't work either. I knew that the car had an overheating problem but the comment about the motor have the possibility of being seized made my heart drop! Of all the possibilities that slipped my mind this is by far the worst one! I am glad to be reminded of that possibility but I dont know how im going to handle it if that is the case. I didnt want to run the car that day but I had to, there was no other way! After this weekend when I make a final check to see if everything else is fine I will conclude that the motor is seized and begin saving up for a new motor! While im at it I might as well save up and get it completely restored since there's a good amount of rust under it already!

4. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Dont jump to conclusions about motor being seized just something you should check. It still sounds like you have some kind of issue with battery with solenoid just clicking. I would think if the motor was seized the starter would engage and smoke the wiring going to it. Sometimes problems are right in front of our eyes and we just cant see them.

We wish we were there to help you

MaverickEsquire likes this.
  5. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    Just see if you can turn it over alittle bit from the crank pulley,and that will tell you if it is.

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Combine your lack of mechanical experience with the fact you NEED a car with these items below....

.......might be time for a normal everyday car. .....not something 40+ years old.

Hotrock, mojo and yellow75 like this.
  7. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    If you have all the above issues and "a good bit of rust" on the car; I like what Craig stated -- time for a normal everyday car". Rust repair is very expensive, combined w/ ur limited knowledge and experience -- might be best idea at this point.
    Most of us have these cars as toys/hobbies and reliable vehicles for daily usage. If you have the option to set the car aside for repair sometime in the future -- might be ur best bet.
    Not trying to discourage, just being realistic...

8. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Im not giving up at all im just preparing for the worst! I dont lack neither knowledge or experience, I come to the forum to see what possibilities are left to check, for example most of what everyone said to check for my current situation, I already have checked! It helps to know what I might've missed! I would go out and get myself another "newer" daily but I dont have the money for it yet nor do I have space to keep it at! I still live with my parents as of right now and we have about 5 vehicles including mine and we barely have enough space to keep them in! Just because i'm young-er than most people on this forum does NOT mean im useless or clueless! Learn to not assume anything, and read what the person who needs help is trying to say, some arent reading the entire problem and proceed to give a solution to something that may have been solved! Im have yet to buy new cables for the starter and for the alternator! Both are beginning to corrode but the still work! I will continue to work on it when I get the time, until then it is set aside and I am borrowing a car for the time being!

9. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    the comment "there's a good amount of rust under it already!" got everyone's attention,at least mine, Craig and Mojo... :yup:

10. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    There are 2 rust holes under the passenger and driver seats less than 6" dia. and rust on the edges of the entire floor in general! Then there is the typical rust on the control arms, frame, etc. All easily replaceable, one way or the other I was going to replace and repair it soon enough so its not as much as a concern for me as to making sure that the car is running right!

11. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Not being car savvy is going to cause you continual headaches... Back in the day, the '70s and earlier cars required continual maintenance, especially by the time they had 50-60K mi(by 60K it should have already had five tune ups)... Need to be aware of little things such as, that clunk wasn't there yesterday, it's been requiring more and more cranking time in the mornings etc... I was under the hood of my stuff two or three times a week... Since Nov '66 when I bought my first car, I don't remember one with rust in floor boards I didn't junk... I did have a '74 Ford F-100 pickup with a couple patched holes but it brought $2500, or $1000 more than I paid for it... I wasn't looking to sell it, but thought of pocketing a grand was more than I could resist...

12. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    Boy you must have lots of money if you junk cars left and right just for rust on the floor boards?

13. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I only buy stuff like that for parts for myself or or resell and make a few bucks... Wouldn't touch one as a keeper...

Rust isn't a issue here, generally only the northern refugees have that problem... Recently junked a rusty '71 Comet GT, worth far more as parts than whole...

Craig Selvey likes this.
  14. mav man

mav man Member

Vehicle:
    70mav
    Usually that's because of lack of ability or just lack of ambition,or both.

15. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Think what you want, could be because I don't want patched up junk...