chevy motor?

Discussion in 'Non-Ford Engines' started by 70mavrik, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 70mavrik

70mavrik Member

Hey guys i'm wondering if anyone here has put a chevy 350 in there mav if so i was wondering if you wouls mind giving me info on the swap. like was it hard.what parts are needed and any custom mods needing to be done. thanks alot guys

2. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I know it has been done. There is one on here right now that is getting a LS1.

But I am guessing since you are asking these questions you have limited fabrication skills. Based on this I would suggest staying with a bolt in upgrade like a 302 Ford.

3. 76Mav77

76Mav77 [MДυξЯϊςЖ]

Vehicle:
    73, 76, 77 Maverick
    :mg: :Blasting: :deadhorse :mad:

4. 70mavrik

70mavrik Member

i have fabercation skills i'm just wondering the work involved. cause if it's too much work then i'll just sell the chevy set up i have and go 302

5. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    By all means sell the chevy. No matter how good of skills you have...sell the chevy.
    Why would you ever want to put a chevy in a Ford or visa versa. Sell the chevy
    clint

6. RatRodRivett

RatRodRivett Member

Vehicle:
    1976 4D Maverick
    Why not go with the 351W, C6, 9" rearend?

If you are going with the chevy350 setup do it with combination of the Muncie M22 and 9" rearend.

I was dreaming of using a mid 60's Thunderbird 390 FE complete setup for a Maverick, Just a dream, don't have the funds. Damn The Economy :rofl2:

Too many fabrication Mods for these setups

Personally I only like GMs 400 SB and 454 BB engines

7. RatRodRivett

RatRodRivett Member

Vehicle:
    1976 4D Maverick
    Many people use the 9" rearend on Chevys. Very Common

8. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    350??? in a mav???? delete the post maybe :huh:

lol, j/k :biglaugh:

9. RatRodRivett

RatRodRivett Member

Vehicle:
    1976 4D Maverick
  10. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    maybe use a chevy II front sump oil pan!

11. JHodges

JHodges thumper

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 351w swap, 1965 Mustang 355 glide, 1993 civic daily driver
    seems pointless. You would have to have a mustang2 frontend because of the pan and it is to wide to fit. I doubt if a turbo 350 would fit in the tunnel. Selling the chevy motor and building a 302 would be much easier

12. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 4dr/302 V8, 1963 Ford Custom 500 inline 6
    Go with the Hydramatic 2 speed like my old Nova had. It is a pretty small transmission and should work. But really for all the work involved I think that I personally would go with a 302/351 engine. The only real benefit of a 350 is the availability of hop up parts and that they have a tendency to be cheaper than Ford parts.

13. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I say put the Chevy motor in it, then maybe one day I can meet up with you and show you what a 302 can do to that 350 making you wish you had gone the other way. :cool: And I didn't have to modify anything. :huh:

14. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    people talk about doing something different when they reference puting a motor in a car that wasnt offered in it. i can respect that, but there is nothing different about puting a small block chevy in anything. i have a maverick because its different. its not another mustang, camaro, nova, or chevelle. i can respect the viper motored mav, the lsx motor mav, and even the supra motor mav, but a old school small block chevy, thats just makeing a maverick generic.

15. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    I see all these anti Chevy posts and I have to agree but nobody told him what he is going to need to do.

First you need to cut the shock towers out and that means you are going to have to put a mustang II suspension under it. Next you are going to have to rework the firewall so you can make extra room for the distributor. You are going to have to put a different transmission into it to match the motor so you are going to have to need to fab the tunnel in and remake crossmembers to match. This being said I am not mentioning cutting the cowl, possible problems with the hood or all of the other problems that might arise when you try to do a major modification.

If you look there are a few major motor conversions into mavericks, there is a 4.6L modular motor, and LS1 motor and a Viper conversion. They all tend to have the same procedure in common, strip the car down to a shell of a body and remake everything else. So if you dont have a nice shop to work in and about a year or two to do it, you would be better off looking at a drop in 5.0/302 or a mild mod like a 351w or 351c.

But if you are dead set on a chevy motor it would be cheaper and less heartaches selling the Maverick and taking the money you get from it and put it down as a deposit on an old Nova II or something.(yes I said deposit because the maverick is not going to draw you as much money as it is going to be to buy a nova II...those guys are as bad as the mustang and the camaro guys thinking their cars are made of gold plated platinum)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009