Chromish trim

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 2nd75comet, Apr 19, 2021.

1. 2nd75comet

2nd75comet Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Comet
    What holds thebchromish trim down the length of the car. Is that glued on? and say you would want to get in over your head and experiment with bodywork, how hard could it be(ha ha), how do you get it back in the right place?

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "experiment with bodywork"
    patience...literally watching paint dry.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Chrome trim can vary. It will either by stuck on by adhesive, or held on by pop rivits or plastic trim clips.

Post up some pictures and we can tell you what you have.

4. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Anybody can do body work but only a few can do it right, if you like to sand and sand again and being covered with dust and everything around you s well then have at it.

If you are working on the Comet that you have listed as vehicle you own then more than likely it will be held on with trim clips which equals lots of holes to be filled and not with bondo, welded closed and that means bare metal to take care of now you are talking a full paint job but fear not because that is how everybody that has done body work started out and you never know you might really enjoy it . I have done my share of it an prefer letting someone else do it

5. Constable

Constable You have the right to remain silent....or not!

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 4 door, 1994 Mustang GT convertible
    They're correct in that trim could be held on in several ways. If it's the LDO trim, the wider one, could be clips or rivets. The thinner trim, most likely rivets. And even if it's clips, they're often held to the metal with a rivet of some description.

Body work isn't for the faint of heart as I know intimately. It's a skill that comes with knowledge and practice. Paint even more so. Filing in rivet holes isn't real difficult with either putty or welding, if you know how and have a MIG to weld. If your paint job is in very good shape, it is possible for someone skilled to blend it in in areas rather than a complete respray. If it's faded any, then the whole car would need sprayed which isn't cheap. Even if you can paint, the paint alone today isn't cheap even going with a single stage enamel which is what they primarily used back in the day rather than basecoat/clear. The single stage I recently bought to fix the few rust spots on my car cost me nearly $100 for just a quart and reducer. A complete respray at a shop would cost you on average $2000-4000. That's with minimal prep also. The rest of the supplies needed have gone to expensive these days also. Go to a supplier and price sanding medium. You'll be sticker shocked on how much sandpaper and emery cloth costs. Good quality putty and finishing glaze doesn't cost pennies either. The cheap crap isn't worth the cost saving.

I applaud anyone doing things themselves. It's a good skill set to have and the feeling that you did it yourself is worth the effort. Body work, though, needs patience and the correct supplies as well as lots of knowledge and practice. It's easy to get it wrong. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you need to know what's involved and how bad it could look if you screw it up. If you do try and botch it up, it may cost you even more to get it done after the fact by a pro as he would have to reverse engineer what you did before he could fix it right.

AcapulcoGold8 and Ronald Hopkins like this.
  6. AcapulcoGold8

AcapulcoGold8 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1976 Mercury Comet 302 Sedan
    Along the driver's side of my Comet there is a single trim piece missing. It is the only piece missing on my car lol. Anyway, it is held in with the dreaded plastic clips and rivets. The piece is along the bottom sill just under both doors. Im guessing all other trim pieces are held on with adhesive. Also that trim piece for me is IMPOSSIBLE to find another one unless someone has one?

7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I have some Comet trim pieces. Email me DIRECTLY (see below) if I can help.