Classic Car May 2006 Issue

Discussion in 'Mavericks/Comets in the Movies and Other Media' started by rosalindr, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I wonder how the Pinto sold against the Vega? Seems that would be a better comparision than Maverick vs Vega. Looks like our cars would be compared against the Nova, simular size, engines, etc.

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I agree 100%. WHY is the Maverick always compared to the Vega when the Pinto is more the size of the Vega and in the same engine class (not to mention that they both suck)??....:huh:

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Ditto on that

4. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I agree with the above about the Pinto being the Ford equivalent to the Vega.I think the Maverick was built to target a younger group just entering the car market.Then the Arab oil embargo hit and gas prices soared(if you could get it)People panicked and bought the small cars with 4 cylinder engines.I think that also is the reason that more four doors were sold later on.A family car that wasn't as big as cars had been.This period is when the Japanese car companies really took off.They had the right size car at the right time.The big three tried but trying to create a car to fit the times was a monumental task.Thats what hurt them in the long run because they produced some real bad cars trying to hit that magic mark in the market.That along with the Government legislating target emission,mileage and safety laws,spelled a perfect disaster for them.I don't hold them blameless but the buying public is very fickle and hard to predict.Combine that with the lead time for engineering and actually getting a new car off the assembly line and it spelled disaster.Chrysler and American Motors hit the skids first.General Motors and Ford are still trying to overcome the quality issues( perception) that they had in the 70's and 80's.
    I think the Maverick lasted thru this period because it was designed in the 60's on a proven platform,and built with existing tooling at a reasonable cost.
    Every time I see a big bumpered car from the 70's I think to myself,yep,thats what cars look like when the government butts in.

5. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    I wonder what the figures are for all those teflon 4's that had to be rebuilt at 40k miles,
    for those Vegas, I do believe on many of them there was not enough good sheet metal left to justify an engine rebuild.
    My brother had a '73 bought in '79 that was so rusted he had to junk it. Rusted that much, after only 6 years? I dare say they were the bic lighter of cars.

6. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    i ditto that question!

7. rosalindr

rosalindr Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Yellow Maverick Grabber
    The Pinto isn't mentioned in the article. The Nova isn't either. The only Vega recommended is the Cosworth Vega from 1975-76. Other cars mentioned are:

1970-72 Chevy Monte Carlo/Pontiac Grand Prix
    1971-73 Buick Riviera
    1973-76 Chevy Laguna S-3
    1970-78 AMC Gremlin ("OK, so it takes a certain mentality to appreciate a stripped down car, . . . but any Gremlin will turn heads nowadays.") I looked at the Gremlin before I bought my stripped-down, $1995 Maverick in 1969. I made the right choice!
    1975-80 Chevy Monza Spyder (and Olds, Buick & Pontiac clones)
    1971-79 International Scout II Limited Editions
    1973-77 Olds Cutlass (My brother had a convertable Cutlass. It was a nice car in them days.)
    1977-81 Chevy Impala/ Caprice sport coupe
    1970-73 Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird

This magazine comes out with these "low-cost collectable" articles every few months. Maybe they throw darts at old car calendars to decide what to put in them.

Roz

8. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    I like the first sentence on the Yellow Mav in Mustangs and Fords 5-2006 when they went to the 12th Annual Ford and Mustang Roundup in Sliver Springs, ( interesting its called a round up) anyway,
    It's Ken Germany's Yellow '72 ( nice car BTW) "Mavericks are getting hotter by the DAY"

Value aside, what I am anxious for is better aftermarket attention as popularity grows, and hey guys we can say we were pulling the bandwagon!

9. jmgford

jmgford Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick, '69 Fairlane 351, '12 F-150, '02 ZX2
    Because the Chevrolet crowd would buy a manure spreader if it had a bowtie on it! I remember that the Chevy dealership here was replacing fenders under the 12 month warranty because they were rusted through.......on the top! Maybe they sold so many because they were disposable.

10. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    True Story.. In true Chevrolet Fashion my friend Tim in High-chool had an older brother that just had to have a Chitty Pick-up. He ordered just how he wanted from the dealer and waited anxiously to take delivery... fast forward 4 years, now that the fenders are rusty he decided to have new ones put on, turns out he got a little extra on his order, Manufactured inside the fender...BEER Can Good old GM Quality, Nothing Rusts lite a Chevy Truck, except maybe a Vega, Impala, Chevelle.....

11. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    That was probably built during a strike. I have heard many stories of "friendly sabotage" during strikes at auto plants.

12. Jay.....

Jay..... Many Mighty Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    71 302 w/ a/c-- 71 200 3 on the tree!
    Weren't Mavericks Made after 1977 in Mexico...?
    If so, add some more to the list...

13. JOHN HOPKINS

JOHN HOPKINS God Rules!

Vehicle:
    72' mercury comet gt,351w @ 4 spd (LiL Cyclone)
    i know when i was growing up in the 70's in southern california ,the big craze was to put v8 into pinto's, vega's lil couriers and chevy luv's so i know california had a big vega crowd, if i remember right, it was about 1973 or maybe 1974 i saw this i think it was dark blue and it had black stripe and it said grabber it had the grabber hood, i believe it also had louvers in the back window, i was 8 or 9 and i fell in love.... where i was at there weren't very many, mostly 4drs. well anyway it took me 30 years to finally get one, well i got my comet gt. i remember when i saw it , it took me back to when i was a wee little lad........... anyway i got off the subject but in the mid 70's the monza i think was built to compete against our cars......