Comfort weave seat covers where to buy

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Doug, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Doug

Doug Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick grabber
    I have tried and can't find any replacement seat covers . I also wonder if my Maverick had a bench seat . The front seat belts are in sleeves . Is this correct ? Also how do I tell which interior package I have ? Is there also a site which does have lots to restore body and interior ? Thanks

2. Cometgt_71

Cometgt_71 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Comet, 2 72 Comet GT's , 73 Comet GT, 77 Maverick
    You may have to buy the original upholstery from a vendor like Original Auto or SMS Auto Fabrics (there's others), and then have an upholster custom make you new ones, using the old covers as a guide. It's not cheap, but if you like original materials as much as I do, or are serious about restoring to original specs, this is the only way to go. You can also get fabric or cloth that will look similar from 20 feet away and cost less; that's another option.

3. Cometgt_71

Cometgt_71 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Comet, 2 72 Comet GT's , 73 Comet GT, 77 Maverick
    There are new replica black vinyl bucket seat covers for 71-72 Mavericks and Comets as well. But you have to reuse the rectangle plastic-chrome piece on the seat back. Not sure what seats you have though.

4. Doug

Doug Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick grabber
    I have the buckets with what seems to be some kind of fabric . Doesn't look original ?

5. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    1971-73 Mustang highback bucket seat upholstery fits 1971-72 Maverick/Comet high back bucket seats. We need some pictures to help you ID your seats.

6. Dulce-Joy

Dulce-Joy Member

7. Dulce-Joy

Dulce-Joy Member

8. Maverocket

Maverocket Bob Williams

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav, 62 F100 unibody
    They look like Maverick buckets to me. You can get a Marti Report that will tell you how the car rolled out of the factory.

9. Doug

Doug Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick grabber
    Thank you for the pics were these the covers you got when you bought the car ?

10. Dulce-Joy

Dulce-Joy Member

Those were the seats and upholstery that were in the car when I bought it. And then I normally had a seat cover over that.

11. Doug

Doug Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick grabber
    I wondered about that . I always liked the comfort weave material and thought I wanted that again . Hope I didn't offend you

12. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    That is a neat combination you have there ... Grabber with a red interior. I would say that was the seats and upholstery that the car came with originally, and not that common either. A Marti report would confirm this. It has the right door panels ... Deluxe, with the longer armrests. Fred Carillo is a member here and makes very nice reproduction seat covers. I would just clean the back seat up if possible and have him make covers for the buckets. The driver seat is leaning backwards by the looks of it. If so, it has "fat guy syndrome", and you may need a replacement lower frame for that seat. The back edge where the upper rests on it may be rusty/bent/broken. Then again, it may just be missing the rubber stops that the upper rests on. The good news is that the frames are same as 71-73 Mustang. Those aren't reproduced, but can be found, and parts do swap between passenger and driver side (a latch may need to be moved). Many more good passenger seats than driver seats out there .... fat driver in a fast car tends to break those down over time.

One thing that jumps out at me is that vinyl top. It is hurting that car. I would look into how bad it is rusting that roof. If bad enough, this car may be a great candidate for a roof swap, because it looks solid otherwise. It sounds intimidating, but I have seen it documented here, and someone with some skills can pull it off with good results. Is the cowl OK?

As mentioned above, you may want to get a Marti report. I think you have a neat combo here. You have some work cut out for you ... best of luck!

13. Dulce-Joy

Dulce-Joy Member

No worries Doug, you didn't offend me. :) Thank you though! :)

14. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    If the data sticker is still inside the driver's side door jamb, the Trim Code should tell you what the car originally came with for seats/material. I suspect 9E - Vermilion - Cloth and Vinyl Bucket.

I like seeing different colours, like on a lot of the Grabbers. This is one of the things that has always drawn me to these cars. The different colour combos and bright colours... A Marti-Report would definitely be interesting to have on this car!

15. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    I told Doug he needed a Marti report as I feel the car would be a low number car with the combo it has.

If I had the car I would leave it as is interior wise but repair it to original, he is chasing a car he had in his past and I cant blame him for that but fear with expenses to change everything to the way he wants it he will miss out of the joy of driving the car and enjoying it as we all know it will take lots of time and money and black deluxe comfort weave interior is like the holy grail to find. I have a roof cut off just waiting to take it to him

Dulce-Joy likes this.