Deciding on a fair price

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by dtb147, Jan 20, 2018.

1. dtb147

dtb147 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I have a 1971 Maverick. I have had it for a just over a decade now. I had a lot of intentions that never came to fruition, mostly due to a lack of free time. My garage has a water issue and it hasn't been kind to the car. I have decided it is time to let it go, and look for a new one after I move and have a better work space. I just don't know what a fair price would be and could use some insight.

The car has many of the common rust issues; battery tray, both fenders, both quarters, driver's floorpan. The front bench has a tear in the driver's side, but is otherwise in ok shape. There is a musty odor from the moisture in the garage. The car does not run well in the cold weather we have had here lately. I fixed a vacuum leak and rebuilt the carb last year but it didn't help much.

Other details:
    • Factory 302/C4
    • Air conditioning (works when charged but leaks)
    • Power steering
    • Blue bench interior
    • Font disc brake conversion
    • Duraspark II conversion
    • 3G alternator conversion
    • Upper control arm relocation
    • Sport mirrors installed
    Other things I would like to sell with the car if possible
    • 5.0L Tbird roller block 0.030" overbore
    • Crank from same engine ground 0.010"/0.010"
    • GT40 Explorer heads with valve job and planed 0.020
    • Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum intake
    • 2 Electric radiator fans (Taurus and Tbird)
    • Narrowed Explorer 8.8 axle w/ 3.55 and limited slip (disassembled)
    • 5 piece rear spoiler (no standoffs for decklid nuts)
    • Carbon fiber Grabber style hood
    • Spare blue dash gauge cluster
    • Blue Mustang bucket seats
    [​IMG]

More Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DoNdv7Ie01VOI85v2

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    A fair price is a hard thing to put on a car, you have spent time and money to get what you have today unfortunately you never seem to make that back but you since you bought the car a few years ago the price you paid was probably lower than what they are worth now so that is a bonus, the parts you have to go with it are highly desirable and I would actually try and sell them separately to get the best bang for the buck.

So I guess the bottom line for a price would be what you feel is fair and happy with. Location of the car sometimes makes for a hard sale because of shipping charges or just the drive to get it. I know this does now help you much but just some insight for perspective

Good luck with you sale.

3. dtb147

dtb147 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Thank you for the input. I have been trying to sell various other non-Maverick related things to get ready for a move. It has been tedious and time consuming. I'm sure you are correct though about getting more by selling things separately. Perhaps for some of the more desirable items it would be worth the effort.

4. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    I fair price will help move a car in good to great condition. I cheap price will help move a car in not-so-good condition.

Is that a recent picture? We would need pictures of all the rust areas plus engine compartment, interior, trunk and under body to even suggest a ballpark price. Rust is a price killer!!! Repair can be expensive and labor intensive. In addition the car isn't running well.

Good luck with your sale!

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    For what it is worth, that used to be my car. I bought the car from the original owner. When I sold it....it was a very solid car with the minor issues he mentioned. I am sure somebody would be happy with it. I sold it back in September, 2007

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maverocket likes this.