Dodged A Bullet...!

Discussion in 'Drag Racing' started by Maxx Levell, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
    Looks like I dodged a bullet this time...I had thought that the HV oil pump that I use was sucking the pan dry on runs. Apparently, that wasn't the case. Pulled the engine this weekend, and when I pulled the pan off, this is what I found...I've never had one do this before...Oil pressure was dropping during runs, and picking back up when I got out of it at the top end.

OilPumpPickup.jpg

At any rate...the pan looked clean, and no indications of premature bearing wear. Pulled the main caps that were accessible to be sure. New Canton 7 quart is on now. New AFR 220's will go on either this evening, or tomorrow evening, and then I'll drop it back in. Looking forward to seeing how much they pick the car up. New cam should arrive soon, and then I'll get it installed and see how much that improves everything as well.

Shaping up to be some interesting times over the next month or so...

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Man you get on the small tire list and it begins, whats next a couple turbos. LOL I bet you make sure the new pick up tube is welded. What heads were you running ? Are the new AFRs worked over or just out of the box ? Get that monster back at the track and kick some butt !!!!

3. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    LOL...I've been planning the heads and cam for a LONG time, and many previous posts mention those changes :evilsmile:. Has nothing to do with the list :p. I needed to get my suspension working the way I wanted first, and I think I'm pretty much there now. Was also waiting to upgrade my cage...and that is in the works for the winter, as is a set of larger headers. At least 1 7/8, if not 2". Just decided it was time to pull the trigger on the new goodies, and work on getting it sorted out the rest of this season. Then start out next year doing some serious hunting! Wanting to upgrade to a new Man O War block over the winter also, but not sure that will happen on that timeframe. Will be in the mix at some point though . That's not so much a performance upgrade, as a longevity upgrade :D.

Currently have just the AFR 185's on the car, and a .615/.621 solid roller. The 220's are out of the box with their CNC race port, and the cam will be a larger roller. Called Ed Curtis @ FlowTech Induction for a custom cam, as he's supposed to be "the Guy" at the moment. We shall see...car has always 60'd really well for the ET, but it just ran out of steam on the top end. Heads and cam should remedy that, and I hope to get my first sub-6 second timeslip with the new combo.

I was going to wait and install heads and cam at the same time...but curiosity over any gains with just the heads, and then the addition of the cam is one of those things I just want to know.

And yes...I fully intend to kick some serious butt at the track with this combination.

Wilbur Green likes this.
  4. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Yep Ed Curtis has been a go to guy for a long time for cams and advice, the hp you are at is pushing the block to its limit and probably past it and to scatter the block on a run could ruin your day and car big time, I always run a stud girdle on the bottom end and top end it may not help that much but feel better about with it on there, have never used a crank scraper but thought about it some of the racers here will run the car a little low on oil to pick up a little et I run n 8 quart pan and leave it about a 1/2 quart low one of the things my car has that you dont see often on a street car is a GZ Motorsports belt driven vacuum pump it gets rid of all the internal pressure in the block and gives you a few more hp. Header evac system didnt work on my set up for some reason and I dont like pcv set ups

Looking forward to seeing progress reports in your car after upgrades

Wilbur Green likes this.
  5. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    Ed's cam picked mine up right at 2 tenths. Put a smile on my face for sure. Worth the money and the wait. He knows his stuff and he's one of those OCD kind of guys. He actually had a design ready to be put into a camshaft and then changed at the last minute, took longer to get what I ordered, but he says what I got was a little better for my application than his original idea. Whatever that meant.

6. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...he emailed me a few times about everything, and finally decided on what he thought I should use lol. It actually arrived the other day, but won't be going in for a bit. I got the new heads on and valves run last night, and am planning on getting it back in the car tonight. Who knows though...with work calls coming in like they have been, it makes it hard to get anything done. I have no idea what to expect from the heads or the cam change...but am looking forward to finding out!

I've been thinking about it, and I think when I do install the cam here in a couple of weeks or so, I'm also going to get new roller lifters as well. I have no desire to have one come apart and destroy the whole works...