Door alignment.

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by rasmussen, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rasmussen

rasmussen Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2dr. 250 a/t
    What is the trick to get the body lines to match and have the door close easily?? I have replaced the hinge pins. The door stays where I put it . But.. I'm not doing it right. Very frustrated. I have only moved the door to hinge bolts. The hinge to body bolts have not been touched. The door seems to be closer to the front fender than the rear jam. The door is low at the rear jamb . Help!!

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    what I do is....remove the plastic splash guard from under the front fender. then with the door closed I reach up inside the fender and loosen the bolts on the body. doing it this way I can slide the dood front to back to align the gap. if door needs to be adjusted up/down I put a paint stick on sill plate, close door and adjust the door bolts...if still not high enough...add another paint stick...:Handshake

Russell likes this.
  3. Russell

Russell Orejano

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Thanks for the info Poncho...I'll be trying your method as soon as it warms up a bit...post script, have you any tips on loosening strut rod nuts other than leverage, heat etc? ...Thanks...be blessed today

Ronald Hopkins likes this.
  4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I will offer advice for the front strut rod nuts. They are fine thread, and have suffered years of environmental abuse by being on the front of the car. First, clean the threads with a wire wheel on a hand drill, etc. Second, spray the threads with PB Blaster and let soak for a week. This will make it easier to get the nuts off.

Russell and 71gold like this.
  5. Russell

Russell Orejano

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Thank you for your good advice....I hope to get my nuts off soon...

Craig Selvey likes this.