drive shaft

Discussion in 'Technical' started by jhossrock, Aug 22, 2005.

1. jhossrock

jhossrock Member

Vehicle:
    1972 4dr. maverick
    today i was painting under the car using por-15. i wonder if i took out the drive shaft to replace the u-joints if i grind the rust off the shaft will i have too have it balanced after i clean it up. also if i paint it will i screw it up.:huh:

2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Shouldn't hurt it unless its rusted really bad. My friend painted a swirl down the drive shaft on his 4X4 truck. Looks wild when you drive along next to him going down the road. To bad you can't see the drive shaft in Mavericks. :)

I would suggest getting the ass end of your car up in the air as far as possible. When you pull the shaft, the fluid will come out the back of the transmission.

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    And mark your shaft and differential so you put it back on IN PHASE. I thought this was bs, but read a post from yesterday, and you will find that I no longer think it is bs.

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    My Grabber's Driveshaft is "out-of-phase" although I can't tell ... I just know I didn't mark when I pulled out the C4 and put in the Toploader .... :)

5. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    DM,

dissconnect the u-joint and spin it 180 at the differential, and put it back on. That is all I did, and it made a world of difference.

6. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    But it feels fine now with no issues ... why should I flip it? What I am saying is that I didn't mark anything when I pulled the driveshaft out and changed both the tranny and the rearend and I have no problem.

7. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    If you don't have any issues, why do you say it is out of phase then?

8. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Dan, I guess me and you just got really lucky. I've swapped my shaft and transmission, both the shaft and trans are out of 2 diffrent cars. I've not had a problem either...

I've always thought sincing the shafts was just for trucks like my F250 where there are 2 seperate shafts that connect together half way under the truck. The 2 shafts are balanced together and if you pull one out and put it back in wrong, it will be out of balance with the front shaft.

9. dmhines

Vehicle:
    I am just making the point that I think it is BS ... I have had driveshafts in and out of other cars including my Grabber ... never marked anything and never had any problems ..

10. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Well......you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right......or wrong, depending on how you look at it:huh: :whew:

11. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Dan, I too recetly pulled mine and reinstalled without marking it. No problems. (yet?)

12. dmhines

Vehicle:
    It is only 50/50 if you do not touch the rear end while the driveshaft is out ... Otherwise it is 1 in 26 (26 splines) that you get it in exactly like it came out ....

13. 74MAV

74MAV Gearhead

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick
    If your driveshaft is balanced correctly it does not matter how its installed.?? If you over tighen your u-bolts on the axle side and pinch the caps to hard so the needle bearings do not work correctly you are going to have U-joint problems and feel vibration and binding. A local shop here told me to tighten all the bolts snug and evenly and then take a wrench and use you pinky finger to pull down on each nut to gauge how tight. If you crank them down hard it will create problems. :huh:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  14. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Maybe my experience was just coincidence. But, I took the driveshaft off at least 3 times, once to sandblast and paint (sticking to the thread here!), once to swap u-joints, and once to rebuild the differential (gear change). I don't know if it always shimmied at high speeds because I don't go fast too often. But it shimmied here in the past few months, but after rotating it this last time, I don't feel shimmy until up around 100mph, and then it is only a light shimmy, possibly out-of-balance tire.

15. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I got a driveshaft at a junkyard that was laying in the back of a truck. he had piles of them. it didnt have a yoke on either end. I brought it home, put my yoke on it and new ujoints at both ends, slapped it in there... no problems?

As long as it's balanced i dont see how it'd matter which end is which....
    I'll go read those articles and see if it can prove me anything.