Drop Spindles...

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by yellowgrabber, Jul 26, 2020.

1. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 61 Falcon Futura V8 363ci Dart Block, 62 Falcon V8 289ci toploader
    Greetings...

I understand this is not a new topic. I believe I have searched and read everything from this forum and other sources to find Maverick drop spindles. From what I found, Fat Man seems to be the only thing available for OEM style swap.

Since the latest post I found here on this subject was from a few years old, I'm curious if anyone has found any other drop spindle options.

I know there are other "drop" options and I have used them over the years. I'm currently using 6 cyl springs with 1/2 coil removed.... just thought I'd look at drop spindles.

Thx

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
  3. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick Grabber, 61 Falcon Futura V8 363ci Dart Block, 62 Falcon V8 289ci toploader
    Thanks for the quick reply... Good to know there are options. Meier seems very proud of theirs (i.e., big $$). More than likely I'll give the FatMan a try. The front is approx. 2" lower than stock with current setup so the FatMan should put it at about the same level and put the suspension back to original.

Are you happy with the FatMan? Did you buy directly from them?

A member of this forum mentioned some clearance issues he had and posted some pics. Any installation issues with yours?

FatMan website indicates a 2" drop... I've seen 2.5" somewhere else. What did your drop come out to be?

Anyway, your response and opinion/feedback of the FatMan spindles is much appreciated.

4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    All I can say at this point is they look great on the shelf! I had them on long enough to move the car to a new house and they seem to be fine. I do have interference with the tie rod and wheel but I have 18 x 9 FR500 wheels from a later Mustang. I could get them to clear easily with a little thicker spacer but have been thinking about going a different direction with the wheels. When I compared the spindle height to the stock pieces it was 2" if I remember right. It has been so long ago I don't remember for sure though. I did buy them direct.

5. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    Thx again... Another question just came to mind. Hopefully not being too much of a bother.

Probably good time for full disclosure. I using the original Maverick spindles from my '72 Grabber on my '61 Falcon Futura with a CSRP Disc Brakes and Kelsey Hays Calipers kit to fit/retain Ford Style Steel 14" wheels.

Also using the 8" rearend from my '72 Maverick that I kept since '75 when I did a 9" swap. Motor is a mild build 363 ci Dart block, AFR heads & MSD EFI w/TCI C4 trans.

61 Falcon Futura.JPG

I emailed FatMan to confirm their spindles would work with this setup... below is their response.

"1970-77 Maverick 2” dropped spindles (require the use of ’75-’80 Granada rotors and ’70-’78 Camaro calipers)"

So back to the question... have you ever had brakes (calipers) mounted to your spindles? If so, what setup were you using? My concerns is the Kelsey Hays calipers. I guess I should call FatMan.

Thx again - Fred

Hotrock likes this.
  6. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Nice Falcon! I have not mounted the calipers yet but I went with Willwood D52 replacements, they bolt in in place of the GM calipers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  7. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    X2 on the Falcon....awesome little car.

8. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
  9. yellowgrabber

yellowgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    Many thanks guys regarding the Falcon... and thanks Rick for the spindle info. I contacted FatMan and confirmed that their spindles would not work with my KH calipers (only work w/GM style) which would mean I would have to buy calipers and would therefore also not work with 14" wheels... so I'd have to change the wheels. So that removes FatMan from the options.

BUT... I had read in some of the past discussions that CSRP (diskbrakeswap.com) had considered offering some drop spindles. As I mentioned, CSRP is where I bought the disc brake conversion kit with the KH calipers. For the heck of it I contacted Dennis at CSRP and he, in fact, is offering 1.4" drop spindles for $399 + S&H... and the brake kit I have is a direct bolt-on to the new spindles. Good price and all my stuff transfers over... no brainer. I'll have them in a few days. Will let you know how it goes.

FYI... the 61 Falcon was/is a great project after I retired. I bought it several years before retiring as an original Futura, no rust or accidents. It is close to complete, though probably never "complete".

Thanks again - Fred

Interior - Reduced.JPG Engine - Reduced.JPG