electronic ignition charging question

Discussion in 'Technical' started by johnkadner, Mar 23, 2002.

1. johnkadner

johnkadner New Member

Vehicle:
    comet
    hello!!!!

so the new alternator and the new voltage regulator and the new battery still are not getting the battery to charge. i check the battery with the motor running, and the voltage is dropping. i switched the wires on the alternator around, and the voltage is still dropping. so maybe i have to take the alternator back.

the only thing else, i am wondering, is the little doohickey right behing the battery. the positive lead from the battery goes to it, so do the headlight wires, and i think the alternator. it looks like a capacitor or resistor or something. what is this? could this be the reason my battery isn't charging? it's the only thing i haven't replaced.

thanks!!!!!!

2. William

William Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    Mine did this I replaced the alternator, regulator, and starting selnoid that is the thing you are talking about behind the battery. The selnoid shouldn't have anything to do with charging but mine was old and someone said it would cause more resistance in starting turns out mine had a wire broke coming from the alternator to the selnoid.

3. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    have you replaced the voltage regulator? Those should always be replaced when YOu replace an alternator.

4. K. Merring

K. Merring Regular

Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT
    What about them loose wires hanging? Time look into were they go!

5. Chris Kirby

Chris Kirby New Member

Vehicle:
    1973 4 door Maverick with 302

Replace alternator, voltage regulator is what i had to do. I just replaced the alternator when it went the first time, and about a month later i decided to check the voltage and noticed it was like 2.0 below 12.5 or whatever is the average, and if I had not changed the regulator soon after my new alternator would have went aventually

6. johnkadner

johnkadner New Member

Vehicle:
    comet
    i think i have found another culprit. since the batttery box had rusted out, somebody had cut a piece of subflooring and put it on top of the old box, and then had screwed a battery holder on top of that. this has lifted the battery a couple of inches higher. also, the hood stopper or whatever it is called, is broken on that side. well, i think the hood has been hitting the battery, and causing it to short! also, i wonder if the hood prop rod hasn't made contact with the battery a few times.