emissions

Discussion in 'Technical' started by OMEGA1, Apr 10, 2007.

1. OMEGA1

OMEGA1 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 GRABBER
    Does anybody know an easy way to get a car to pass emissions in arizona? It took me 9 times last year to get it to pass by the grace of god! I dont want to hace to do that again! any suggestions?

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Dang...I can't believe they make you deal with that on a 35 year old car that didn't have smog control on it from the factory. They don't have emissions testing here in the South so I wouldn't know WHAT to tell you. Maybe some of the Cali guys can help you out. :huh:

3. Slantsickness

Slantsickness Member

Vehicle:
    1975 2 Dr.
    Lean the crap out of it at idle and set your intial timing at 0*(TDC). If all else fails, give it a big vacuum leak. At least that works here in Pima county. Don't know what the differences are for Maricopa, i know its not exactly the same, but as long as the sniffer test dosen't check for NOx, you'll be home free.

4. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Give us a little more detail as to why you didn't pass. Missing components, total CO, NO etc.

5. Mad_Max_Mav

Mad_Max_Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, fiberglass nose, blown 351w, 5.13 geared 9" rear, TCI built c4
    wow.

I live in RI. Emmissions are a beotch here as well.. I gave up years ago trying to get an old car to pass... too much effort and screw the loss of performance... we're all going to die in a fiery ball of iranian death anyway, so the enviroment/pollution can suck an egg too.

Here is what I did/do, maybe some of this will work for you- maybe not.

1) Here in RI, any car registered as an "antique" needs pass NO inspection of any type... saftey nor emmissions... there are however, driving restrictions placed on it.

2) Just do what everybody else does and make nice with a local garage that inspects and pay for a sticker. Typically it will cost you $100 bucks more than is normal. They'll stuff the sniffer up the tail pipe of a different car that they KNOW will pass, then run your car on the dyno so it registers, bla bla bla.

I can take a pic of a "valid" inspection sticker on a maverick with a 'through-the-hood' blower, methanol injection and slicks, lol.

Yes, its illegal- rooty toot. The government gets enough of your money and law abiding good behavior... and look how they squander it: We half-ass our way around the globe starting all kinds of grief and then stop well short of finishing the job. All that waste of men and materials and the government has the nerve to tell YOU that you can't putt around in an old car? BS on that.

Scr*w the enviroment and scr*w public saftey:
    BUY a sticker from a cooperative wrench and MAKE your own personal hole in the ozone with raw emmissions, FRIGHTEN old people and children with open headers and REMOVE the seatbelts and bumpers from your car to shave weight.

:rant:

wow... too much coffee this morning. :dancing:

Russell likes this.
  6. Slantsickness

Slantsickness Member

Vehicle:
    1975 2 Dr.
    Sorry, wont work out here. The inspection stations are drive through deals, no chance to pay a little extra for a good inspection (at least in my county). They are set up to prevent it. But all you have to do is tune the car to pass, and re-tune it to run right after you pass, which I usually do in the parking lot of the inspection station, cause it runs like crap and hot when its running lean.

7. Mad_Max_Mav

Mad_Max_Mav Member

Vehicle:
    wow.

woa. thats a real bummer.
    Jesus- if they instituted something like that here, I wouldn't be able to drive anything, lol.

Does your state have a provision for registering a classic or antique auto? There are typically relaxed requirments with regards to emmissions etc, when doing so.

8. Slantsickness

Slantsickness Member

Vehicle:
    1975 2 Dr.
    They just instituted it, so as long as you have classic car insurance and its either 25 or 30 years old, no smog test. But the annual mileage limit is 1000 miles, i think. AZ has no saftey inspections unless your bringing in a car from out of state, and its only a one time deal, so we have it good there.

9. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

arizona is anal.. i lived in tucson, Pima county, and my maverick had to go through annual emission inspections..

these are a few tricks i used..

turn down the idle mixture screws until the car will barely run.. then up your idle to about 1200 rpms, and get your timing set at 0*.. it will run like crap, and it will have zero power... go early in the morning, so the air is thicker and cooler

1/4 tank of gas or less... put in the entire contents of the Guarantee to Pass Emissions that you can find at Checker or Auto Zone. let the car get up to 200 degrees or so, this will help to burn off the Co2 and HC

the idea is to run the car with as little gas (idle mixture screws almost all the way in), with out being advanced or retarded on the timing (so that the spark is firing when it should) and running at 200 degrees (to burn off all the excess gas, if there is any)

the last time i went through, feb 2006, i had passed it so well that i thought the would retest my car.

you dont need catalytic convertors, or smog equipment, unless the car came with it

and DO NOT take the waiver... you will have to fix forever after that.

Russell likes this.
  10. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    Hm, if a guy had 2 speedo's,,,ahh disregard ill thought!

Russell likes this.
  11. Mad_Max_Mav

Mad_Max_Mav Member

Vehicle:
  12. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    The entire cluster could be changed out in about 15-20 minutes...absolutely the way to go. No need to put up with all their :bs:. Put the spare in so they can record the mileage...put a couple hundred miles on it, then change back to your original. Time for a new inspection, reinstall the spare and start over. Much easier than messing with the engine. :cool:

13. Mad_Max_Mav

Mad_Max_Mav Member

Vehicle:
    LOL- YES!! Stick it to the Man!!

:agreed:

14. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    definately register it classic and change speedos to keep mileage down. as far as passing smog goes, i put 1 or 2 gallons of regular in an otherwise empty tank along with 3 or 4 bottles of drygas. you know.. gasline anti freeze. uhhhhh make sure you have a well tuned engine. plugs wires points cap rotor new air filter. gas line antifreeze will burn like gasoline (sort of) after you pass inspection, fill 'er up with super. if they ever start testing voc's that theory is shot to hell. sure got me through here in new jersey. then i went with classic plates . got a couple extra speedos just for occasion.

15. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    People talk about California being bad, but we kicked the jerks you have in AZ out of here for failing people with pre-smog cars in the '80s.

Dry gas and the other stuff is just alcohol. Run 10% or 15%, but you still have not said why they failed you? Missfires? Hi HC? missing hoses? All the things stated above are useless if it wont pass a visual inspection or there are true mechanical issues. On cars like ours, the standard the car was built to meet when new is all it has to meet now. Gas is better, ignitions and such. We need to know more.