EUREKA! - door panel chroming

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Acornridgeman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    ok.. I looked real quick last night and only found one that I know for sure is good. And if memory serves correctly.. I've used it without clear coats several times and it holds up decent on the exterior which may be a bonus.

It's called "The original Chrome" by Nybco. http://inventoryco-op.com/inventory/product/1539

Not sure if they even make it anymore though(yeah.. that makes me feel even older).. so I will look through my paint shops fire cabinets for a larger supply and alternatives(I've tried a lot of them through the years). I'm pretty sure I have a partial case left and will share if anyone wants to pay the few bucks shipping to try it out.

I also need to look through several boxes of modeling supplies since there are some variations of chrome-look products hidden away there too.

2. injectedmav

injectedmav Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2dr 5.0l EFI, 2003 Expedition(wife's), 2002 F150 Supercab King Ranch
    Great information, guys! I will definitely give this a shot. My chrome has almost completely peeled off of the door panels and the rear window trim looks like crap. I have been eyeballing some of the finishes on the newer wheels especially the darker(than chrome) reflective paints since the price on rechroming has skyrocketed.

groberts101, I spoke to our wheel repair guy about painting the bumpers and other chrome with the same finish as on the aforementioned wheels and he didn't think he could make it look right on that large scale(bumpers). I don't know if it's the process or his abilities that are the limitation, do you think the process you mentioned would work for the bumpers and other exterior trim and have a smooth semi-reflective finish that would look acceptable?

3. mrmalina99

mrmalina99 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Looks nice.

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. But to be honest.. I don't really keep up on the newest auto coatings so I'm not really sure what's out there right now. There is always the house of color stuff($$$).. called "Kosmic Krome". Never wortked with that particular product before.. but I have seen it at car shows and it does look especially nice on thinner stripes and small parts. Larger parts look more like polished aluminum from a color standpoint and as you'd expect.. don't have the clarity or reflectivity that true chrome does. I almost did my work vans stripes and lettering with it.. but went with chrome vinyl instead since it was much cheaper and simpler to get done.

Then I do know there is another system called mekki that can be applied to look almost exactly like chrome. Although, I would have to guess that durability would not be the greatest for exterior surfaces that see road debri like a front bumper would be exposed to.

Maybe check around to see who does that stuff in the states? Looks promising and I will be checking into it later on when I get down to the details with my build.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I pulled the chrome off my passenger door panel on my stallion about 10 years ago. Drivers side is still decent after all these years. Thanks for this great info. Going to correct my bad side lol.

6. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    I know this is an older thread but I need to know how to pull the small chrome (really plastic) off of the door panels. Is it simply glued on? Dan, does it look okay when the chrome is removed? It doesn't damage the panel material? Not used to the new look!

7. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Since Dan doesn't come on here much, I think he just pealed the chrome off, and left the plastic. The chrome is kinda like a thin plastic film.

8. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    Your door panel looks GREAT :thumbs2:

Acornridgeman likes this.
  9. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Thanks Dave B, I wondered if that was the case!

10. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Thank you!

And yes, the actual plastic strip that is chromed is a part of the whole assembly and does not come off at all, but the chroming is easy enough to peel off.

11. Grabber-1

Grabber-1 Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
  12. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers