evaporator

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by biggruss, Oct 1, 2015.

1. biggruss

biggruss Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick grabber,1975 maverick (parts car)
    i sent my evaporator to classic auto air and they said it couldn't be fixed. so i'm wondering if i should look for a good used one or try another place. they said they could make me a new one but at almost 500 dollars thought that was kinda of high. should i ask for my old one back? any thoughts? 20150918_122729.jpg 20150918_122745.jpg 20150922_124124.jpg

2. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hey Russ:
    For that kind of ca$h you could almost buy a complete Vintage Air BOX that has modern components and does not
    rely on vacuum to actuate doors and heater control valves . You would have to make some new lines to hook up the
    unit. But the unit is Far SUPERIOR to any factory setup out there . Just MY opinion for what it's worth.
    ( Summit Racing sells Vintage units ..I've bought SIX from them in the past ) ..
    Cometized
    (Chip)

3. biggruss

biggruss Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick grabber,1975 maverick (parts car)
    how hard would it be to mount the box and do you have a part # for summit?

4. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Russ:
    Not difficult at all .. We mounted ours on the Passenger Side under the dash and routed the connections through the firewall on some , and the Side on others .. depended on the car and build intent . On some cars we " Hid" the hoses and ran them UNDER the passenger side fender including the "dryer" and it really cleans up the engine bay. No hoses
    showing draped over the engine .. On others .. we just tucked them in close and secured them to the inner fender areas to the fronts. They provide AC Vents , flexible hoses from the unit TO the vents (four) and metal brackets to secure the box .. we used them and a couple of flat pieces of aluminum flat bar to secure our units. On a couple of cars we made an aluminum plate and "capped" the original hole where the stock blower motor came through the firewall and then routed our AC hoses through there. I'll see if I can find some photos of one of the installs and post them. The AC units we selected was designed for a full size Chevy so it does a GREAT job of cooling these smaller compartments. The Defroster and heater is built into the unit and I've only had to use the heater once on a trip to Illinois some time ago in late fall. The model no.# is 61005-VUZA which uses the R134 . The current SUMMIT price is $497.00 and I bought my last one a year ago when it was a little less expensive. I would recommend you change your stock
    condenser to a Vintage condenser and possibly a Sandon Compressor. I realize this goes "beyond" the simple change of the stock units but if you're planning on KEEPING the car .. why not make it comfortable once and for all.. I haven't had a bit of trouble with any of the units we've installed . We just completed a Hot Rod POWER TOUR in my 74 Comet this past June with 4415 miles without a hitch. Had to turn defrosters on when we ran across a " Fierce" heavy downpour in the mountains of Tennessee and I'm glad we had the Vintage Setup .. A stock unit would not have been able to keep up and keep my windshield clear .. The rain lasted about ten minutes straight and cars were pulling off the road all along the highway . I didn't dare stop .. BUT ... I Could SEE through my windshield. I can truthfully recommend these units and wouldn't consider any OTHER . I'll see what I can turn up as far as photos . If you wish to speak to me about more details you can email me @ cameocarclub@yahoo.com and I'll give you my phone number also.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

5. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon