Father and son project

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by BradHinz, Nov 24, 2017.

1. BradHinz

BradHinz Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Living life through my boy. Project 77 maverick 302, c4 auto. I have all the parts for small bumper conversion. We are building a 408 stroker out of a 1995 roller block, Aluminum heads, roller cam, performer rpm air gap intake, we have msd distributor and 6al box. Car is pretty solid, 1 owner. We put the mustang bullet wheels on it. It has the ugliest green interior, its gotta go not sure if we will remove or replace the vinyl top. Would like to put a top loader in, but there MAVERICK PIC.jpg hard to come by in Canada. Still considering whether to do a back half on it. I'm not rich so have watch cost on everything.

For those of you that have used stroker kits. What did you use? I have been told not to use scat by our local engine shops (I guess they must have had a bad experience or 2) Eagle is what there suggesting. Wish us luck. My boy is 13 now and it will be done for his 16th birthday.

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    are you building your boy a street car or a drag car?

3. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Frank makes a valid point with his question. Hope he's a damned skilled AND conservative style driver at 16. Not likely for a 16 yo but there are some exceptions out there, I guess. A ton of torque in a tail light leaf sprung car can be downright dangerous even for skilled drivers if pushed too hard.

As for the preference of Eagle of Scat?.. they must be assuming things haven't changed much in the past 5-6 years. They certainly have but either one needs to be checked and verified before use. Seen and heard of spec's being off on both brands but quality control has improved considerably. Anyone expecting absolute and consistent perfection from an aftermarket steel crank priced around $200 bucks is just expecting too damned much. And beware of considerably lower priced pieces on ebay or wholesale priced distributors because there are surely many blem's floating around out there.

4. rlbriggs7212

rlbriggs7212 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 64 Fairlane 52 Henry J
    I have a Scat kit in my race car. Started with a 69 351 Winsor block. 4.030 bore and 3.875 stroke for a 391 cu in . I have put over 150 runs on it. I talked to Eagle and they did not recomend stroker cranks in stock blocks, for serious drag racing. Eventually they said the block will fail. 408 stroker out of a 95 roller block ? 302 roller block ?
    RLB

5. BradHinz

BradHinz Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    It is going to be pro street car, not his or my daily driver. We are also building a 1981 z28 t-top car. which will be his main ride. It is a sbc 383 auto, fairly mild. My son I back and forth on whether or not he wants American cars or some sort of import turbo car. Either way don't worry, my sons maturity, behaviour and experience whether or not he drives this car. Maybe I should have just called it my project

6. BradHinz

BradHinz Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick
    Its a 351 block, thanks for the info. Ford stroker is new to me. I have had several 383 chev strokers and pounded them pretty hard in a stock block

7. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    looks to be a nice daily driver now...:thumbs2: