Fuel Filter

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Gene Fiore, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber, 1970 Maverick Drag Car(sold)
    I am getting ready to install an electric fuel pump and need to place a fuel filter between the tank and pump. Will any over the counter fuel filter that can be purchased at Oreilleys be sufficient or do I need something better? :hmmm:

2. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    I would install a larger filter such as a fram hpg1

3. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    Before the pump you will want as free flowing filter as possible if you are going to do that. then you can use a better smaller micron after the pump so you dont restrict suction to the pump. I wouldny use any of the cheap inline ones on the suction side.

4. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    Suction? I am eliminating the mech pump and going strictly electric so that would not be an issue. Do I need to have a filter before and after the pump? What micron filters should I be using?

5. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    If you put the filter between the PUMP and tank then its on the suction side. A large filter may not be too bad before the pump because it will be less restrictive.

One like this filters down to 10 microns. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1507/ But its large so it will flow well. But it says in the description that it withstands 15psi, hinting that it should be on the pressure side. running a paper type filter on the suction side I would think may cause the paper element to collapse and be a problem.

Fuel is not going to hurt the pump unfiltered. the passages are large and will not be clogged by typical fuel contaminents. now if the car sat a long time and has a dirty tank then ya you would want to filter before the pump until the tank is clean. If you just want to run one filter, between pump and carb, then a 40 micron should be fine. Just search Summit for a 40 Micron filter with a cleanable filter element. Problem is most of them have AN threaded outlets and you might be using rubber hose.

Also if you are using a fuel pressure regulator make sure the filter is before the regulator. I believe the system should go from tank to pump to filter to regulator to carb.

fuelsys.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    There is already a filter in your fuel tank ( sock ). You only need a filter at the carb. :)

7. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    I bought a Carter electric pump and the instructions say to put a quality filter between the tank and the pump. Do I not need a filter because of the sock in the tank or should I put one anyway and just skip putting a filter between the pump and the regulator.

8. safado

safado Member

I wouldn't put a filter before the pump, just after the pump... but to protect the pump a filter before it would not hurt, just make sure it can keep up with the pump..

I ran a holley blue for 3 years with no filter before it...but....

9. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    Well, I think I can put this to bed now...I just got off the phone with tech support for Carter. He told me I should put a 70 to 100 micron pull thru design filter between the tank and the pump and a 10 micron filter between the pump and the regulator. The filter after the pump is really overkill but protects downstream at some point if the pump deterioates over time. Guess I just have to find what I need now.

10. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    I was looking at filters and didnt see anything like a 70-100 Pull Through design on Summit last night. I think that is excessive filtering and wont catch much that the sock dosnt at 70-100 microns. I ran my Holley Blue for 13 years, without even a sock on my fuel pickup, and just the 40 micron filter before the regulator. And my car sits alot. The time at the track was the first fuel problem I ever had and I have never cleaned the filter until now.

11. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    How many microns of filtration do you think the tank sock is? It is new and if it is sufficient then maybe I will just forget putting a filter before the pump and just place one after.

12. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    No idea, but if its small enough to get through the sock then its not going to hurt the pump. When the last time you saw a fuel filter BEFORE the pump on an original car? Even on New cars most have the pump in the tank, a sock on the pump, then a filter inline after the tank.

13. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    Nuff said...screw it...just gonna place one filter after the pump and be done with it. (y)

14. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Didnt I said that before? :hmmm::rofl: When do you want to get the block off plate? Ill be home this evening and Saturday all day probably working on the car.

15. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    Sometimes I just have to hear it several times before it sinks in and makes sense to me...:cry: