Got my new Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Technical' started by NJShoreMav73, Feb 1, 2005.

1. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick- 2 Door, LDO Trim, 302, Bucket Seats, Automatic on the floor.
    I ordered new leaf springs from JC Whitney and they got delivered today. I went with the 4 leaf heavy duty set.

Before I begin taking my car apart, I was just curious if anyone had any input on what parts I'm gonna need and any suggestions to make the job a little easier. I figured while everything was apart maybe there is somethings I should do just to do it.

While I'm under there and I have the rear down I'm gonna repaint it and do a little cleaning and painting.

But I would appreciate any help yo guys can give me. I plan on starting this weekend.

Thanks!

Steve

2. scott

scott Member

Vehicle:
    1970...302 c4 hookers dynamax (for now)
    dude... talk to todd. he did it virtually by himself! ain't these mavs COOL?

3. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    Its awesome that he has the intrest to do the work himself. It shows that he loves that car...it sure is beautiful!

It was a toss up on what was gonna be done first, thge springs or detailing the engine. The springs got here first, so they win!

PM me his number. I didn't pick up new shackles or bushings, so I'm hoping I can get a set from pep boys or autozone tomorrow. Gonna pick up the paint tonight from Lowes.

If anything have him give me a ring....I would love any advice! I just don't wanna miss anything. Getting the ass off the ground a little and some stiffer suspension if what I want to accomplish, but I want to do it the right way.....

4. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

what was the part number for the springs....and how much did they run....i am going to do that myself.......and i wanted the heavier duty springs as well

thanks

and good luck

5. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    not sure what the part number is....I went to jcwhitney.com and put in the car year, make and model. Went to suspension and picked the leaf springs. They were about 120 for the pair. Fast delivery, and if you over more than $150 worth of stuff they offer no payments, no intrest for 90 days and they were offering free shipping too.

Not a bad deal. Just hope I like the way the car sits.

6. ronr11

ronr11 Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick
    springs

I need them also any info would help THANKS RON:yup:

7. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

8. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
  9. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I did the swap myself (4-leaf). Took me several hours, as I had no help. The hardest part is getting the old shackle bushings out--just takes a little patients.

I bead-blasted the lower shock mounting plates and the original rear shackles and re-painted them to look new. I replaced all of the U-bolts with new ones and replaced all of the bushings. The new springs returned the car to original height from sagging; didn't jack up the rear at all. It is much stiffer now though. Again, I re-used my original rear shackles with new bushings -- I have heard that the JC Whitney shackles suck. I installed new gas-charged shocks in place of the air-shocks that were on it.

My best advice would be to spray WD-40 on all of the bolts that you will be removing; do this several times for a couple of days prior to performing the swap. It will make the bolt-removal much easier, as it will disolve most of the rust.

Use good jack-stands to support the car on a solid and level surface, Saftey first!

Hope this helps...

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

You may not be happy, at first, with the ride height. May take awhile to settle down, might even throw some weight in the trunk for awhile to help the process.

11. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Buy NEW U-bolts ... cut the old ones off - makes life easy and they are inexpensive. Definitely soak the bushing bolts so they are easier to remove.

12. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    So should I replace the shackles or just take them off, clean them up, throw a coat of paint on them and put them back on?

13. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    Soak everything, and I hope you have an impact gun, makes life real easy, just spins the bolts out of the bushings. If you need shop space, I may be able to arrange some for this weekend up this way for ya :D, have to kick the 77 F250 out though
    Shaun

14. NJShoreMav73

NJShoreMav73 Member

Vehicle:
    I got it in the garage, so I should be set, but I really do appreciate it Shaun.

I'm reading the chiltons now, and I just called pep boys and they can have me the bushings by thursday. I was looking at the leaf sprnigs and it seems that there is a set of bushings on one end, but not the other.....make sense?

15. 72comet_GT

72comet_GT Member

Vehicle:
    1972 comet GT
    I would replace them. Get a shackle kit with new poly bushings....may as well spend a couple of extra bucks, it'll be worth it in the long run. Get your kit and bushings from someone like www.p-s-t.com and not JC Whitney.

I'm doing the same thing....going with the 4 leaf. :D

D. Ray