gt40p summary

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Todd, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    So i went back into the archives and read everything there is to read and the general idea i got from everything was this.

- P heads outflow 351w's
    - 2cc more in the combustion chamber meaning a loss in compression
    - shorty spark plugs on drivers side with 90 degree spark plug boots
    - decent power gain

My question is this. What is the real deal on these heads? Are they worth the effort to put them in? Are they better than the windsors? besides the spark plugs, are there any other drawbacks of any real consequence?

thank you
    -todd

2. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Burnin corn

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick Grabber,2017 dodge ram,88t-bird,indian scout,Indian Chieftain.95 Mustang GT
    yes, an excellent upgrade. The only windsor head that is any good is the d00e or c9oe, the others are just the same as a 302.In my opinion out of the box a gt40p is better than either of the aformentioned heads.

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I would say that they are the best flowing iron heads out there, except I hear some roush heads are nicer. But, for $200 a set with valves and springs, you cannot go wrong.

They take a little getting used to with the plug angle, but I could do mine now in under 30 minutes now that I have learned the "tricks".

If you read about the tool a couple of us made for getting to the plugs easier, I found them ready-made recently in Popular Hot Rodding or Car Craft, just this last month.

Consequences: some mild frustration the first time you try to get the plugs in/out. Maybe a burned plug boot (I used two aluminum layered gaskets on the driver side for extra clearance, no problems since).

Feel free to check out my website for detailed obstacles and solutions. I documented pretty well, including prices and shortcuts, so hopefully it will help. Low bandwidth website (Geocities) so if everyone gets on at once it will not let you in.

Also, PM me for any other help.

They are GREAT heads, I never regret putting them on, except that I now eat tires much quicker, even with a spool!

4. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    alrite thanks guys i think im gonna go ahead and get them. sounds like the mav is gonna be a little quicker for the summer this year.

-Todd