help with steering column shaft sliding

Discussion in 'Technical' started by braess, Jun 24, 2014.

1. braess

braess Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick GT 1974
    i need to cut the steering culumn shaft to machine it to put on a custom ishaft.
    but i ran into a problem with the culumn.

the shaft slides in and out around 1", which im not sure where it comes from.
    (silver part of the shaft, when in its at the magenta line)

[​IMG]

has it to be like this, that the rag joint could be assembled? or is it a malfunction? seems that the lower bearing is not original anymore...

anyone knows how it should be?
    what would be the better position for the shaft when i cut it: in or out?
    thanks for advice.

2. braess

braess Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick GT 1974
    bump!

no one got some advice for me?

disassembled the whole top of the column, but couldnt get the lower shaft out as the bearing is fixed with a welded plate...
    so i just think its has to be moving to assemble the rag joint to the steering gear originally...

3. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    I believe that the lower column shaft moves because the upper column is made to "crush" in the event of an accident. That slotted area on the outside of the column can expand (push outward) letting the upper column and steering wheel to push downwards toward the firewall. I have no idea how far it's supposed to move, as I've never seen one collapsed. I will guess that the lower shaft should be pulled out under normal circumstances. This would allow the column to collapse. :)

4. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    To my eyes, what you have does not appear to be what my steering column shaft looks like. I do not know if the Mexican models were different.

On mine, there is a coupling welded to the end of the shaft which connects to the rag joint. Yours does not appear to have this. Also, the original shaft is made to collapse. This is why the outer tube has the accordion sections in it.

To me, it appears as though someone has fitted a homemade center shaft to your car. The fact that the bearing is welded to it makes me even more suspicious. If it was a solid shaft, it could be a harpoon into your chest if you had a serious front end collision. I would look for an original column to replace what you are dealing with.

Micah

5. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    His has been cut off, and a new lower shaft has been added. I did the same thing when I installed my R&C mustang II kit.

If the shaft is moving, then your steering wheel will move, also, with it. So install the steering wheel to figure out where the shaft is supposed to ride, and do your measuring and cutting there.

Mine ended up looking like this...see attachment.

Be sure to measure AT LEAST TWICE!!! I did. And still messed it up. Luckily, I did not cut off enough, so a second cut fixed it. If I had cut off too much I would have had to buy a new shaft and start over.

Attached Files:

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, looking back at the pictures I took of my project...

Your shaft may be moving inside the original shaft. If so, it won't affect the steering wheel.

Check out this attached picture. The hollow shaft is stock Maverick. The Double D shaft (newer one on the lower part) is aftermarket. I could have welded mine, but instead decided to drill and put in a pin (bolt) to keep it from sliding.

So verify if your shaft moves your steering wheel. If it does, you are fine, line up the steering wheel and then measure and cut. If your shaft slides and does NOT move the steering wheel, you will need to pull the shaft out and secure it somehow.

This is all inside that accordion tube.

Attached Files:

7. braess

braess Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Maverick GT 1974
    thanks for your comments guys.
    that is more or less what i expected.

i disassebled the upper column to see what i have and clean and grease it.
    i have a sliding inner shaft, as it should be with the D shape.
    top column shaft is full material, lower is hollow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the top is in a tube which is ok from position as fixed with the column outer parts, just at the bottom its moving around in the acordion tube as there seems to be some kind of center ring missing.
    i have only some kind of horrible chewing gum inside and it doesnt center correctly.
    so need to check whats missing and add it to center.

[​IMG]

but for that ill have to cut open the welding points that hold the plate which holds the lower bearing.

then ill do something to secure the lower shaft at the outer position, that it cant slide in anymore.
    and in this position ill cut it...

8. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Chewing gum might be all that is left of an old neutral safety switch.