hood pins

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Racer_X, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Racer_X

Racer_X Maverick Hugger

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick (1970 clone)
    Is there a special trick to install hood pins? The last time I did it they were off centered some how, looking at getting a grabber hood and would like to prevent it from happening a second time.

2. 71maverick361

71maverick361 Vern Isaac

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I like the Daystar KU71104RE hood pins. They come in black /red/blue. I mount the pin in the desired location and apply tooth paste to the top of pin and lightly close hood on pin. Then drill the hole from underside of hood in center of tooth paste left on hood underside. Always worked for me hope it helps.

3. Racer_X

Racer_X Maverick Hugger

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick (1970 clone)
    thanks that helps a lot, I may not have had the hood lined up exactly right last time either.

NCFatBoy likes this.
  4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    yep, that's really important to get it right before drilling holes. Also keep in mind that the pins themselves may not be mounted in identically located mirror image of each other on the rad core support due to slight variations in build geometry. Then add 40 years to that already poor factory tolerance and things never seem to fit perfectly.

Personally. I prefer using plum-bobs whenever possible. All you need is an eyelet/latch/bent nail in a ceiling or rafter to suspend it from so that the plum-bob can first be used to locate the ideal hole location up top.. then temporarily lifted high enough away so that the hood can be opened to enable dropping the plum-bob back down to transfer exact top location. Obviously the car needs to be rolled around a bit to locate the top positions. May take several repeat attempts to find the sweet spot because the ideal pin position you prefer up top doesn't always transfer into a position that will work down below. It is extremely repeatable and precise though.

A few more tips and other pitfalls to watch out for here. To make the pins and their escutcheons properly follow the hoods curvature, the pins top must tip forward slightly towards the front of the car and must be accounted and figured into the top holes location relative to the lower hole. Drill the holes slightly oversize(don't go too far "overbored" here) to gain some adjustment there. The front core support side to side variations may not lean the pins in identical fashion even though the holes are located properly. Hey, they're practically spot welded tin cans.. wuddaya gonna do, eh? Rubber mallet gives you that last little bit of angle adjustment and/or making custom beveled washers helps too.

Country Mav and NCFatBoy like this.