HOOD SUPPORT RODS / HYDRAULIC TYPE

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by COMETIZED, Nov 22, 2022.

1. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    I and my Daughters Mavericks BOTH have Dynacorn Grabber Hoods with the standard Prop Rods the cars CAME WITH .. I want to add some more support when the hood is raised ( checking oil levels , etc ) and be
    reasonably sure I won't bump the prop rod and create a problem. I found several setups OnLine and several
    of them I'm convinced would " work" . This post is to inquire if any of our members have dealt with this issue and may be able to suggest information to complete the task .
    Thanks for your input .
    Cometized
    Chip

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Hi Chip:
    Perhaps you might be interested in Billet Aluminum Hood Hinges? Contact Walt Federline
    https://www.federlineproducts.com/
    I was his test guinea pig for his Billet Aluminum Hood Hinges for our Mav/Comet, eliminates the hood prop!
    David
    P1020424.JPG P1020422.JPG P1020431.JPG

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Tannersg1 likes this.
  3. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I have a pair of F150 hood air springs that I never seeem to get around to installing. Also kind of figured out a way to use early Mustang hinges.

4. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    So only one side has a pin?

5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I like the idea of those hinges but I can see those having one big issue. It would be like owning a 68-72 GM A-body, the owner knows the secret to closing the hood but others wouldn't. Most of those A-bodies ended up with kinked hoods because old sticky hinges had to be wiggled side to side to close. I can see someone being helpful and trying to close the hood not knowing you had to release that pin.

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Whenever I get around to doing mine I was planning on adding aluminum angles along the inside edges of the inner support frame. Light but strong to keep the hood from bowing.

7. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Yes, only one side has the "pin", Walt is working on a "new/revised" version, which eliminates the pin, I believe he already incorporated them into his Mustang/Cougar units. You can see it in the link, cam like tab that when you open, it falls into lock position, to release open the hood up more, and cam releases.........
    Walt told me it makes a much cleaner look and eliminates the "pin".
    https://www.federlineproducts.com/B...on-Comet-and-Montego-64-65-Ranchero_p_12.html
    David

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  8. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I like that. I'd feel better about it if both hinges locked.
    Currently on my car I have stock hinges where I drilled 1/4" (or maybe 5/16"?) holes through the lower part of the hinges and can insert 1/4" pins through when the hood is raised on the prop rod. Twice at car shows a gust of wind lifted the hood off of the rod and the hood slammed down chipping paint at the cowl.

9. Tannersg1

Tannersg1 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
  10. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    They where a direct bolt in, spacer/washers (supplied) where used between the inner fender/hinge to make sure hood/hinges are correctly aligned. If you are interested, contact Walt Federline and mentioned that you are with the Mav/Comet forum group, along with my name David from Vancouver BC, he'll know........
    I actually just finished messaging him, he is currently working on 10 new hinges for our Mav/Comet.......:)
    I am very pleased with his hinges, excellent quality and fitment! Only other manufacture or person making Billet hinges for our cars is fellow in Brazil, but around $1200 US..........Walt's under $400
    There are a couple other manufacturers, Eddie's and another in MN, can't remember name off hand, but I contacted them about any possibility of making hinges for our cars, they where not interested and their prices where alot higher than Walt's.........
    David

link to more pictures of hood hinges..........
    http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-maverick-or-comet-today.75605/page-830

Tannersg1 likes this.
  11. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    So are these hinges available? I do not see them on the website?

12. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Thinking more about this cam setup, if my previously mentioned gust of wind comes along again and raises the hood it could unlatch and fall down. To me it sounds like the pin method of retention is safer.

13. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Hi Craig:
    During my conversion with Walt on Nov 23rd., here is part of his message........
    "currently has 48 assorted hinges in the works, 10 of which are for the Maverick. I've had a lot of people calling me for the Fairlaine hinge. Anyway, I'll let you know when I get some finished. If you want to upgrade to the new design, I'll see what I can do."

You can alway email him and see what time frame he has on our Mav/Comet hinges.......
    David

Craig Selvey likes this.
  14. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    Probably would be best to contact Walt and talk/message him about how exactly his new locking design operates and perhaps he could shed some light about your concerns?
    David

15. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I saw where someone had pinned the stock hinges and someone tried to close his hood at a car show when it started raining...:slap:
    also saw when Diesel Dan's hood blew up off the prop rod at a show and it fell across the driver's fender and the hood slammed on top of it...not purty.