How is your Maverick Insured?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by David, Jul 25, 2002.

1. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick 1972 Maverick
    Just wondering what people's experience has been with insuring their Maverick. I know there is classic car insurance available with its restrictions.

What kind of coverage do you guys have for your Mavericks?

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    We own two Mavericks right now. The daily driver is insured through AllState along with our truck. The 1977 is insured through American Collectors Insurance Co. American Collectors does limit the mileage to 2500 mile per year but it also covers the car to it's full value if it should be wrecked beyond repair. The car has to kept in a garge when not being driven. The car can only be used for show or criuse events or other special occassions. The car had to be appraised first . Once it was insured the insurance co. increases the value of the car 4 times a year. The coverage cost goes up a little too, but it's still cheaper than the coverage on my daily driver. I have'nt heard any negative stories about American Collectors as of yet but then again I haven't had to file any claims with them yet either. Hopefully I never will. BTW, they also cover the loss of any spare parts you may have up to $500.00. So if the garage the car is kept in falls down and crushes the car and the spare parts, everything is covered.

3. 754dr.

754dr. 2dr. want to be

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick 4Dr power stearing, breaks w/disc, and a/c
    intresting...

SO if I put that kind of insurence on my car, I would bea ble to drive every day, so what if I drove it to school here and there, or over to town a few times to "show" it off, Then again I'm not to sure they would concider my bondo bucket as a classic or would they?? I'll find out some time I'm sure..

Jason

4. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    What you are describing sounds more like an everyday driver which is not what classic car insurance is meant for. They ( or at least mine) makes it very clear that the insured car can ONLY be used for shows, cruises and special occassions such as weddings, parades, ect. It is not to be used as a daily driver. That is why the rates are so low and the mileage limited to 2500 per year. My car also has a classic plate on it which makes it quite easy for the local law inforcement to tell if I were driving it everyday. If the car were to be damaged while being used as a daily driver or just showing off, the insurance co. can refuse to cover the damages and cancell the policy.

5. Charlie

Charlie maverick.to/grabber

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick Grabber (Modified)
    Primary vehicle, stated value of $4500, to prevent the case where the car is stolen and I am given the value of the average 1970 Maverick in good condition (which alst time I checked was like $1500)

6. 754dr.

754dr. 2dr. want to be

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick 4Dr power stearing, breaks w/disc, and a/c
    I see

Ya sorry about the last post, i was thinking too fast, and not typing to keep up with my head :D I won't be driving my maverick everyday, but I will get driven during the summer in the winter it will be in the grage were it got all fixed up over this summer, I do now under stand the use of classic car insurence, it is based apone the idea that you really don't drive it, and to me that is a wast ;) but then again I don't own a good rust free nice a$$ car ither!!! I'll just get full coverage and that will beit for now till I get me my true all metal car!!

oo ya here is the latest phot of my car, if you all go in the cos. fourm you will see moe, what do you all think of the head light doors???

Attached Files:

7. '71Grabber

'71Grabber Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I can't find full coverage in Texas with out going to Classic. It sucks. I might go ahead and do classic anyhow, it isVERY cheap. Since it is not my only transpo, who cares...

8. rickyracer

rickyracer Member

Vehicle:
    66 Stang, 68 Cougar, 72 Comet GT
    Insurance

I use a combination of Winchester & Ruger. And when they don't work Prudential kicks in.

9. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Pitbulls and rattlesnakes work well too. I could use my 38. special but it's only good for short range and it is kind of LOUD!

10. Jerilyn

Jerilyn Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    Good luck getting full coverage if you live in Southern California! Where I live my insurance company GIECO will NOT give me full coverage cause my car is too old (1973) and neither will any other insurance company. Classic car insurance for this state is unbelievely high, to insure my mav (my only source of transportation) would cost me close to $2000 a year on top of my regular insurance to drive it daily (luckly cause I'm a good driver and a woman) which is around $800 a year. I am a college student and obviously on a fixed income so I can't really afford almost $3000 in insurance. What will I do in case of an accident? Well if the car can be repaired but is totaled out by the insurance I will buy it from the company and then get a salvage title and just start over. Luckily I have about $2000 saved in case this ever does happen. If it can't be saved then I have $2000 to buy a new mav and start all over but knock on wood that I never have to do that! Some day I'll get the beast some classic car insurance but for now it's up to God how we do on the road, but hey it's a mav, solid steel and lots of power, honda's beware!
    Jeri

11. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i don't insure the maverick as it is used for drag racing only. i've just switched my insurance from allstate to aarp and saved a lot, also moved my house ins. and dropped that a bundle too. if your over 55 and looking for ins. i'd reccommend checking with aarp. i insure a 2001 montana, 87 toyota p/u, 85 chevy 1 ton dually, 64 fairlane 2 dr sedan, and a 62 falcon ranchero. the falcon has been appraised and is insured for $6500. :)

12. MavJoe

MavJoe Certified Lunatic

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Same with Northern California (at least in Sacramento) virtually impossible to find full coverage insurance for my 71. My car was insured through Eastwood but only for PL&PD (public liability), $32 a month was the premium, don't have the policy anymore due to a payment error (on their part) but since my car is currently garaged and is registered it doesn't matter atm. I haven't found classic car insurance around here probably wouldn't opt for it though too restrictive no way I could stay under 2500 miles a year.

I know my car is a project car but since it's sometimes parked in the street (thus has to be registered) needed insurance :).

71 Grabber (Project Car)
    85 Club Wagon
    94 Taurus GL Sedan FFV

13. KillerBob

KillerBob New Member

Vehicle:
    1970 2 Dr Maverick
    My car is classified as antique and the plates are $118 a year...I don't got any special insurance cause my car's only worth $400!

14. werner

werner Member

Vehicle:
    71 GT mercury comet
    Each state is different. If you want any benefits and put under 5000 a year on your antique tags in pa. Is the way to go. In pa when you have the antique tags there's no need for inspection. Just different insurance. And that cheap means of the tags. That's Pa. Never states different.

15. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    thread seems to be 14 years old but a good subject...:yup:
    I have Hagerty Ins, no restrictions and guaranteed $22k on a total loss...platinum coverage...$365 a year. the lady said she would bump the value up to $25k when painted...:thumbs2: