Interior Paint Touch-up

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MaverickPDX, Mar 10, 2021.

1. MaverickPDX

MaverickPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 i6, 1991 Ford Econoline
    Hey folks,

I've read through some of the previous posts about this topic and it was surprised by how complicated and difficult it is to find or match paint colors. Nevertheless I figured I should give this a try:

Here's an interior pic of my 1977 Mav. I would like to touch-up those little blemishes in those back plastic panels. Is there an easy way to do this, perhaps a paint color I could find online somewhere?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    SEM products are the best and they will mix colors to match your projects. Any place that mixes auto paint will mix plastic and vinyl dyes too.
    But here is a question - are your rear panels flaking away and has the top layer of the plastic become "chalk-y" - like does it come off easy when you scratch it with your finger nail? If so, that is an issue that sadly is harder to cure.

3. MaverickPDX

MaverickPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Ford Maverick, 250 i6, 1991 Ford Econoline
    Thank you, Acornridgeman! There's often simple solutions to stuff like this that I usually end up overlooking... My assumption was that I'd have to figure out how to mix "Ford 'Saddle Tan' #15" or something. It would be awesome to know what the exact color code is here, but it's probably much easier to go to an auto paint shop and have them figure it out.

Fortunately, none of the paint came off when I scratched it with my fingernail. Out of curiosity, would the chalky-flaky problem mean that the plastic is actively decaying?

4. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Yes, UV from the sun breaks down the plastic but usually just the top layer. So the bad areas can be sanded or scraped off, but then you lose the grain molded into the piece. If they get too bad about the only thing a person can do is find some that are in decent shape from a donor car.