Kickdown....how much does it really do?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by CACollo, Mar 23, 2002.

1. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    Hi!
    I'm having some problems with the tranny (c4), and i'm wondering if it could be related to not having a kickdown?

My problems are that it slips through first, shifts early, and then slips into second before it completely grabs. Does the kickdown act as a pressure regulator, or is it strictly for downshifting when passing?

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

The problems you describe leads me to believe that the trusty C4 is due for an overhaul. The kickdown basically just downshifts the trans into 2nd gear, instead of having to move the shifter manually. Sounds as if your clutches are worn, these are fibre and steel disc's stacked in a housing with a actuating piston that when fluid pressure is applied to the piston it forces the clutches together and engages the output shaft to the driveshaft. There is a small amount of clearance between these discs when in new condition, as they wear in time, this clearance opens up and it takes longer for the piston to force them together, this causes slippage and heat buildup which is a very bad thing for auto transmissions to deal with. It has come time to renew the poor things internal workings. There are some other factors that could cause low fluid pressure to the clutches but my money is on the worn out theory. Hope this explanation helps your decision, have a good trans man look at it and get another opinion. The C4 is a tough little trans but as with all things, they can't last forever, darn it anyway.

3. richard

richard New Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick, 302 2dr
    I rebuilt my c4 myself. it was relatively simple. but the kit i got from napa didnt come with bands, so i had to buy them separately. i also got a torque converter from orielly's(i hope it lasts) i used the haynes ford auto trans manual it has detailed step by step Photos.

4. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    I believe the kickdown is just the bar going from the carb to the trans right? simple mechanical connection. Do learn to rebuild the trans yourself, The c-4 is just about the easiest out there.

5. richard

richard New Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick, 302 2dr
    I did have a 68 chevy that I drove around for a couple of years without the kick down attached. i had to shift manually but no slippage

6. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    Hi!
    The reason for the question was that, well, my transmission IS rebuilt (by me). It has new bands and clutches (bands properly adjusted), new front pump, new thrust washers...and, well, just about everythign is new! So that's why i'm wondering. I think i'll just play around with the modulator some more (which is also new).
    Thanks for all the responses!